123 Ignition distributor.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had my Dells tweaked the other day and Bus is running well currently with the 123 on.
The guy that tuned it seemed impressed with the rock steady timing mark when he had the timing gun on it!!
I may try advance curve number 6 after Oktoberfest to see how it performs on that one, I'll have plenty of miles under my belt to compare it with by then.

I'll be towing the caravan with the red stripe if you see us there. Come say hi if you wanna look at the 123.

Phil

Thought Id resurrect this thread rather than start a new one. Now you guys have been running these for a while whats the general consensus on the setting selection for the vac advance one. Would love to hear from someone with a 1776 especially :msn4:

Hi all.
I'm a uk stockist for the vw123 ignitions, I use them on all my engine builds and they are a great bit of kit, check them out on the vintagespeeduk webshop, I also do a billet clamp designed for the 123 as well as leads and coils.
Thanks
Dan Simpson

I fitted one to the panel van and it failed after less than 1000 miles, company i bought it off werent very helpful so its still sat on my desk as an expensive paperweight. I know other people have good results with them.

I fitted one to my 1776 a couple of months back and was mighty impressed. Rock steady timing and a smooth vac advance that I couldn't get with a genuine vac-can item (admittedly of undetermined origin). It has completely eradicated the hesitation I had; under all conditions I have experienced to date.

I have heard of a couple of units failing and there is an observation that they are not lubricated in the way that the standard item is i.e. a hole drilled in the side of the dizzy body that lines up with a gallery in the block. It begs the question "how" is it lubricated?

In what way did your's fail Graham - seized under hot running by any chance?

Zcat7 said:

No not at all low speed on a country road and only after about 10 miles of driving on that day, engine not hot or anything just failed completely leaving e stranded at the side of the road.

Well I feel even more happy about the spare 009 I carry in my tool kit now! Fingers crossed I have a good unit because it works so well.

Zcat7 said:
I fitted one to my 1776 a couple of months back and was mighty impressed. Rock steady timing and a smooth vac advance that I couldn't get with a genuine vac-can item (admittedly of undetermined origin). It has completely eradicated the hesitation I had; under all conditions I have experienced to date.

I have heard of a couple of units failing and there is an observation that they are not lubricated in the way that the standard item is i.e. a hole drilled in the side of the dizzy body that lines up with a gallery in the block. It begs the question "how" is it lubricated?

What setting did you use in the end please Z :?:

I originally tried "5" because I wanted to limit the max advance (29.5 on this setting) as I'd had hot running problems at high revs and thought too much advance may have been the cause. However i still experienced hesitation at low revs so I switched to "0" and have found that to be spot on (including the hot running) so I haven't experimented with any other settings.

For reference I'm running twin Solex 40s (Kadrons) and an Engle 100 cam with stock heads and valves.

Zcat7 said:
I originally tried "5" because I wanted to limit the max advance (29.5 on this setting) as I'd had hot running problems at high revs and thought too much advance may have been the cause. However i still experienced hesitation at low revs so I switched to "0" and have found that to be spot on (including the hot running) so I haven't experimented with any other settings.

For reference I'm running twin Solex 40s (Kadrons) and an Engle 100 cam with stock heads and valves.
Thanks Z, will use 0 as a starting point to get me running then I think to get me to rawspeed tuning, and then see what the rolling results throw up.

Let us know what you end up with after the rolling road session please Cornish!

Zcat7 said:
Let us know what you end up with after the rolling road session please Cornish!
Will do, plan on putting the printed dyno readout on my thread. If he changes the setting I will mention that too

Latest posts