71 Seattle Westy Restoration - Done, Time to go camping

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's job was to Sovol polish the window frames for a final slightly brighter finish. They are all now ready to take back to the bodyshop for refitting.

My latest acquisition, a genuine Westfalia Awning which was sold as an optional accessory, so this one is 40+ years old. It's not had much use as no sign of fading so quite chuffed with it.

Been over to the bodyshop today. The roof is now in primer with the fog coat ready for levelling and the engine bay is ready for primer.

Also been putting my engine back together after the tinware was powder coated. I now have a cooling flap thermostat mechanism, (this was missing). Ran out of time today so not finished yet

Wasn't happy with the exhaust so remove the labels and a coat of VHT grey paint

Also been to the bodyshop and the roof is now painted.

Tried my Westy Awning tonight. A few repairs such as the hooks but otherwise in great condition. I'll be cleaning and reproofing it at some stage.

Popped over to the bodyshop today and he's been working on the pop top. He's replaced all the wood with a profile to support the edges and glass that over then started priming it. Should be a lot stiffer when finished.

Been over to the bodyshop today. The roof is finished, new wood on the opening section. Rear roof now sporting freshly powdercoated bars and clips. The doors are on and aligned. Bumpers primed ready for gloss.

I don't know how I have missed this thread, but I have just stumbled across it and have read the whole thing. Nice work, nice bus...just very nice. :D

Whose body shop are you using, out of interest? :?:

KevH said:
I don't know how I have missed this thread, but I have just stumbled across it and have read the whole thing. Nice work, nice bus...just very nice. :D

Whose body shop are you using, out of interest? :?:

Thanks, I'll PM you. He's a one man show but highly recommended so far.

Kev946 said:
Finished putting the engine back together. Now all I need to do is rebuild the carb then it ready to go back in the van.

looking nice!

can I ask a couple of q's ? you seem to have a connector pipe between the heater pods and the heat exchanger, wouldn't it fit without these?

Also are you keeping the fuel filter there as a lot of people think it should be out the engine bay?

mike202 said:
Kev946 said:
Finished putting the engine back together. Now all I need to do is rebuild the carb then it ready to go back in the van.

looking nice!

can I ask a couple of q's ? you seem to have a connector pipe between the heater pods and the heat exchanger, wouldn't it fit without these?

Also are you keeping the fuel filter there as a lot of people think it should be out the engine bay?

My engine came with Beetle heat exchangers so I've used a small length of aluminium air pipe and clamps. Seems to work fine. The top air pipes are connected to the exhaust heat take offs using the standard metal push in connecting pipe.

As for the fuel filter. In theory the engine bay should not be that hot to cause a melt down, but I am thinking of using a metal fuel filter. This isn't the carb I'm using or pipes as it's a Mexican one. I have a OG Solex which is being soda blasted then rebuilt to go one.

Hope this helps a bit

Rebuilt the OG Solex today. Realised I have a dual advance distributor on the engine at the moment (with points) and the Solex only has the single vacuum connection. I was going to replace the distributor anyway so I'll get a Powerspark or Accuspark Electronic Distributor with SVDA to go with this carb I think.

Been to the bodyshop and we are getting close now to finishing now. When I got there he was baking the front after the final epoxy primer was applied.

So an update. The Rear Roof Rack is finished and fixed in place, the rear tailgate is finished and ready for top coat, the sliding door is finished and ready for top coat, the doors have been mounted, primed in high build primer and flatted ready for white epoxy primer and the bumpers are finished painted in Pastel White gloss.

Been over to the bodyshop. He's now working on my 72 and he has a bentley that needs finishing in the next 2 weeks for a wedding, so not much progress on the 71. I'm pretty relaxed about it though as the quality of work is so good. He's now go the front in build primer.

Latest posts