71 Seattle Westy Restoration - Done, Time to go camping

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent some today looking at the sliding door which was all wrong. It didn't align, would not click shut by lifting the handle and the main issue, the U mechanism just wasn't working correctly and the latch was hitting the frame.

The first thing I noticed was the missing levers on top of the slider block, meaning that it wasn't engaging and swinging out correctly, so need to order a new one of those. So I thought I'd at least try aligning and adjusting and the good news is it now aligns and locks from the inside and out. So once I have a new slider block I should be able to get it working correctly. Also getting new rubbber buffers and stop. Then clean it all up and lubricate it all.

Here's my U slider mechanism and below that how it should look.

Countdown to Raymond going off to the bodyshop.

Interesting way fitting a new battery tray. I found it was only bolted..... :lol:

Other side was fine. Usual rust treatment.

All the underneath now undersealed following the rust treatment and Epoxy Chassis paint. Final step will be some waxoyl in the box sections, doors etc.

Dash now out

My wiring diagram for the Dash... :)

Underneath looking awesome 8)
What are you doing to the dash then... just a tidy up?

gninnam said:
Underneath looking awesome 8)
What are you doing to the dash then... just a tidy up?

I wanted to paint the top anyway and thought it might help the bodyshop taking it all out as all the interior is being painted.

Major Milestone reached today with the Camper off to the Bodyshop. I don't expect to see it back for a good few months now but at least it's winter.

Here he is tucked up in the Bodyshop. For those wondering that's an Invicta in the background and it's very rare and worth £100k plus I'm told.

Been over to the Bodyshop today and fantastic progress considering the van has only been there a week. All glass now out and Kev, (another Kev), has been stripping paint off where he suspects there might be corrosion. He's also spent some time on the sliding door and cab doors fitting.

He's got the sliding door fitting superb....with a bit of brute force. Really happy with this as it wasn't flush with the surround body panels. Top left was standing proud a few mill

Front screen lip is corroded badly underneath where the seal was, worse on the offside. I've ordered a repair channel from Schofields which will be welded in.

Some corrosion under the seals on the back windows but pretty minor so just needs a bit of weld in the odd hole.

This is really odd, corrosion which looks like it's come from the inside. There was filler hiding this which had changed the profile so Kev suspected there was filler here. The small black square is the repair piece he's going to weld in place. He's avoiding using filler.

We also found the outer frame of the nearside rear opening window was so bad the the hinge pin had corroded away. I managed to get a replacement from Schofields complete with new seal. This means I've got a spare seal for sale.

More progress on the van at the bodyshop.

Small repair in the front offside wheel arch. Nearside is fine which is odd.

More pics of the corroded front windscreen channel

Schofields repair section ready to weld in

Seat mount section - Old cut out and new piece in place and ready to weld in

Floor section - Old cut out and new piece fitted and ready to weld in

Good progress considering the Xmas holidays.

Exploring the front channel more reveals it only needs welding on the right side. Left is fine.

New right seat mount in place and looking very factory

Left seat mount treated with a rust proofing and resin I think he said. It was damaged from a leaking brake reservoir which is still leaking...lol

Left side floor ready to weld in new panel. Notice he's now removed the Steering column.

More prep on the engine bay so looking good

He's also done some more work on the Engine Lid and Tailgate. So overall looking good but lots more work to be done.

Gearbox cleaned up and a coat of Satin Black

Engine partially stripped for a tidy up and tinware, Rocker covers and heat exchangers going off for powder coating.

mike202 said:
so exciting for you when it comes back from the bodyshop :)

nice work. 8)

Thanks Mike, yes exciting and hoping it's going to turn out well. The bodyshop is only 15 mins from me so I'll be popping over regularly so lot's more photo's to come.

Latest posts