71 Seattle Westy Restoration - Done, Time to go camping

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too much progress this week.

Right side floor finished.

Left side ready to weld in the new piece and lots of sealant glue ready to seam seal everything

Good weekend on the engine and gearbox.

Engine degreased

Erik's Magic Bus apparently. I think this was the last US owner who had the engine rebuilt in 2006

Inlet manifold painted in High Temp Silver

Fan painted in Silver Hammerite Smooth

Engine painted in High Temp silver and black. Now ready for the tinware once I get it powder coated

Gearbox and starter motor painted in Satin Black Smooth Hammerite. This is still wet hence it looks gloss

Looking good! Nice to see a car from the area I'm living in right not being taken car of. Keep up the work i'll be watching for more pictures.

Progress update

The missing Cooling Flaps mechanism now sourced. Thanks Des

A coat of High Temp Matt Black

Drive Shafts stripped, shafts painted and CV joints cleaned ready for rebuilding with new grease and boots.

Bodyshop Update
Engine Lid repaired, all corrosion cut out and new metal welded in

Seems sealed and box section filled with FE123 rust treater.

Floor and RH Seat Tub finished, sealed and in the paint booth for a coat of primer.

The Bodyshop did me a sample of Pastel White and Cloud White. It appears that the horrible paint job is in fact Cloud White not Pastel White, even though the previous owner gave me the left overs of the paint which said Pastel White on the tin. If was definately Cloud White which is darker and more green. Since doing the samples we are going for L82 Silver White for the Bumpers and Roof which is a Pre 70 Colour. Bumpers were Pastel White from 70 onwards, but I prefer the look of bright white bumpers.

Bodyshop update

The cab floor is finished and a first coat of Epoxy Primer

Front Window channel now repaired

So I decided to strip the Louvre Windows, polish the alloy and replace all the seals. What a pain. The screws on the underside of each window frame were welded in...result was 2 broken windows out of the 4. The glass is quite thin so they are very delicate. So now looking for some replacement glass panels or hopefully I can get some glass cut.

Hi!

Great work! Good progress being made, i can only imagine how long it took to clean the gearbox, mine seems to have a tar like gunk on it, seen it on other us buses too, weird. Looks very good in paint Always well :mrgreen: of all these lovely shiny busses coming out...

Cheers,

Aistair

aogrady said:
Hi!

Great work! Good progress being made, i can only imagine how long it took to clean the gearbox, mine seems to have a tar like gunk on it, seen it on other us buses too, weird. Looks very good in paint Always well :mrgreen: of all these lovely shiny busses coming out...

Cheers,

Aistair

Thanks Alistair. Very pleased with the progress. Yes my gearbox had what looked like chunks of tar and soil stuck all over the outside. Wasn't too difficult to remove, I started with a scraper then used an aggressive wire brush attachment on an angle grinder, then a coat of satin black paint. The picture is when it's wet hence shiny.

Kev946 said:
aogrady said:
Hi!

Cheers,

Aistair

Thanks Alistair. Very pleased with the progress. Yes my gearbox had what looked like chunks of tar and soil stuck all over the outside. Wasn't too difficult to remove, I started with a scraper then used an aggressive wire brush attachment on an angle grinder, then a coat of satin black paint. The picture is when it's wet hence shiny.

Looks great, labour of love. I wonder what the tar stuff is, is this on UK busses, or just a US thing to stop leaks?

Alistair

aogrady said:
Kev946 said:
aogrady said:
Hi!

Cheers,

Aistair

Looks great, labour of love. I wonder what the tar stuff is, is this on UK busses, or just a US thing to stop leaks?

Alistair

I assumed it was the bitumen underseal and 43 years of crud...lol

Not been to the Bodyshop for 2 weeks. Great progress made though. All the welding is now finished. These pictures show the Epoxy primer going on. 2k primer and top coat to follow.

Main Floor finished and Epoxy Primed. (Must get so photos from him on the work that went into this).

New Battery Tray in place

New rear wheel arch closing panel in place. The other side was OK...strange

Latest posts