Big Red & Seirra Yell-Low! A Classic adventure

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We spent Sat/Sun at the Pomona swap meet. The trick to getting in early is putting your car up for sale so we did just to check out the swap early. We had a a ton of offers on the vans but neither of us were really willing to part with our buses cause it's a long 1600 miles on a beach cruiser on the way home. We walked the swap (VW and Domestic sections) from 10:30 in the morning until 11:00 that night, slept for 4 hours and then were back up by 3 in the morning with out flashlights. Geof scored a og west table, a pair of So Cal plate frames, mint front turn signals, 68 bay only wiper arms. I picked up a vintage Murray beach cruiser for my wife and a bunch of trim stuff for one of my bays :roll:. There was so much to be had if you had more space and a bigger motor to lug it all home. We saw a mint set of 71-on Dan Gurney wheels, I even passed up a set of dual Kadrons for $15 :shock: .only so much space in Big Red.

Here are few pics:

This is how they swap ink SoCal
ff81968a.png

Here are some of the bays that were there.
720e3f47.png

78517042.png

6e7401bc.png

4723b0d7.png

A Westy with an Advanturewagen top
e4dbe7be.png

c7667735.png

0f51b051.png

c4966edf.png

2a049f8a.png

5e7692e7.png

The crowds

4a933536.png

If we pick up more parts and bikes our bays may sit like this! :lol:
0abdba97.png

squareweave said:
Here it goes with an update. The day after Sacramento, the real "Hotel Sierra"
ee61752d.png

The Yell-Low out for an ice stop
afd62304.png

The buses at Newport beach.
6b47b211.png

.I will try to post a bunch of pics of our stops later today, we have been out for some parts hunts and some shop tours and have picked up some good scores.

Love this thread and love these pics. Sierra Westy's rule!! :lol:

My feet still hurt, 12 hrs walking sat and 9 hrs sundy! So many good deals and so much to see!

The vans are performing perfectly and getting thumbs up wherever we go. Spent the afternoon at chip foose's shop. More pics coming soon! Sneek peek of his new shop.

We've been so busy the last few days we haven't had time for updates. Richard is loading some pics now as were at a local starbucks.

We spent a few days visiting local shops and scored some nice So Cal vw plate frames and a few other goodies.
Deano at Hot Vws gave us the tour of the shop, thanks Deano!

Last night was Rich Kimbals open house BBQ. Incredible food, amazing cars and great people. There were some very nice bays in attendance including a Porsche 6 powered vanagon. We check into the Crown Plaze host hotel today, always a great place to meet all the other out of towners and check out all the new vw's that will debut at nicks burger tomorrow. Pics on the way!

Hey everyone! Were doing great but the girlfriends joined us a few days ago so making time for updates is a little tough. :D

We have been to all the events last weekend and clocking lots of miles, 2000 plus now without a problem. When we get home we will add lots more photos to this thread. This is our last day in the Newport/ Huntington area, time to hit Burbank then along the coast where we can get some good senic shots. It's been overcast the last few days with the sun coming out by 1-2pm. Still having a great time riding the bikes on the beach and camping.

More updates soon.

Still no pics, sorry guys. Richard and his wife left on Thursday in search of sun so my pics will have to wait till I'm home in a few days. Spent a night in Burbank after watching a taping of the Jay Leno show. Then a full day on the beach in Venice and now Santa Barbra, great places to come check out with lots of bays on the streets!

Just arrived home tonight, 3960 miles (6336 kms) in total! Going to bed. I will post pics later this week. A great trip in all, not a single issue with the van. Just adjusted the points and valves and did an oil change in Modesto California at a friends place. Not to bad considering I had put maybe 20 miles on it before I left. Lots more to come

I should be be home late tonight or Thursday morn. Had a great stay in pismo beach, then a day in Sacramento. Headingto see Nate at wagons west this morning and a stop to see the spruce goose before heading north.
There has been some very hot days and long grades to climb (4200 feet) but she's running like a champ!

what a fantastic road trip you guys have had.one question though,i thought pomona was only on the sunday?

Sat morn set up starts, swaping beging as soon as the first car arrives, that's when the good deals are had :D

Home! 26 days in the Westy and 4029 miles! Not one issue, it ran flawless the entire time!

Ok onto some pic's... a few may be reposts but here we go.

This is around midnight the day we left. Richard is hard at work sewing my interior
ct1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big Red in action, somewhere in Oregon...

ct2.jpg

Crossing into California on the I5 sometime in the middle of the night
cal-border.jpg

Getting close to Mt Shasta! (in California)

ct3.jpg

You know your in California when you start to see Mexican-Motorhomes!

ct7-mexican-camper.jpg

We made it to Sacramento Sat around Noon and the Swap was already underway, a few buses camping in the swap.

ct5.jpg

Paradise VW on the way to another blistering pass...

ct6.jpg

Now to jump ahead a few days, Here's a shot from Newport beach when we arrived.

ct9.jpg

ct10.jpg

The next morning we were in Huntington Beach and saw a boat on the beach. Turns out is broke down out in the ocean and got battered in the waves before washing ashore. Later is was draged up the beach (some 200 meters) by a tow truck...total destruction! the two 454CI engines were full of sand!

ct8-boat.jpg

Latest posts