External oil filter fitting, vertical or horizontal?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68 obe

Reaction score
I'm fitting an external oil filter under the leisure battery tray and was just wondering if there was a certain way I have to mount the oil filter, I will be fitting a plate around it so it shouldn't get damaged by any road debris.

What's better, vertical or horizontal? Does it matter?

I know vertical would probably be best but I'm worried it'll get hit more easily, reversing into kurbs etc. Horizontal is more tucked away but will make oil changes harder and more messy.

What has everyone else done?

Thanks in advance

I've had mine, vertical, in the spot you mention, for the last 18 years or so. Not so much as a scratch from road hazards. But then I stay
on civilized roads, and avoid the buffalo trails. I don't even like to think of the freakin' mess a horizontal filter would make. And how would
you pre-fill it?

Makes no difference to the way it works. However horizontal will be more messy when changing, regarding to filling it during an oil change. Take the king lead off the coil and spin the engine over till the light goes out. But you should do this anyway to prevent air locks.

I agree with the other replies, I have mine mounted vertically on the chassis rail with an external oil cooler under the leisure battery tray.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll try and mount it vertically.

Are you going to fit a thermostat divertor thing so the oil does not go though the filter until it has heated up. If so, what module are you using as that's the last bit I need to buy.

Hubs said:
Are you going to fit a thermostat divertor thing so the oil does not go though the filter until it has heated up. If so, what module are you using as that's the last bit I need to buy.

The oil should go through the filter at all times, you mean a sandwich plate with thermostat for an external oil cooler.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOCAL-SP1-OTSP1-OIL-COOLER-TAKE-OFF-SANDWICH-PLATE-OPTIONAL-THERMOSTAT-/153030984031?var=

Hubs said:

You don't really understand how an engine oil system works do you :|

K@rlos said:
You don't really understand how an engine oil system works do you
You've got to try :)
I thought there was an issue with cold oil over pressurising the filter and blowing it, so the reasoning was that you'd stick with original oil route until the oil was warmer as give a small amount of oil to heat so it heats up quicker, less engine wear.

Sandwich plates are for external coolers - cool on them.

Hubs said:
K@rlos said:
You don't really understand how an engine oil system works do you
You've got to try :)
I thought there was an issue with cold oil over pressurising the filter and blowing it, so the reasoning was that you'd stick with original oil route until the oil was warmer as give a small amount of oil to heat so it heats up quicker, less engine wear.

Sandwich plates are for external coolers - cool on them.

Your semi right. That’s an issue with oil coolers with cold thick oil at higher rpm’s, oil should ALWAYS be going through a filter

My street/strip 2110 has a 30mm Gene Berg pump with a Gene Berg pressure relief cover, remote Fram HP1 filter, a mocal sandwich plate which supply’s the Mocal 72 row oil cooler once the oil is up to running temp and stock oil pressure relief springs.

All works perfectly and has spot on pressure no matter what th temp or rpm is.

Latest posts