Meet poppy - Updated 20/07/2015 mot'd and back on the road

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So bad news update this time.

Poppy is progressing and is almost ready but I have run out of time to be able to get her built back up, put some miles on the engine to give me some confidnece its not going to go bang and be ready for Camper Jam. CJ was my original planned debut of her new shiny paint. But with all the issues it has taken a lot longer to get her finished - the main one being the ton of bondo on her that I didn't know about and the huge amount of poorly repaired accident damage that required a lot of time and effort to correct.

Drew and Stuart have been brilliant and wont rush the job which I totally agree with. I think it has been a complete ball ache for them to get her to their very high standards. Sorry chaps. :-(

The upshot (and downside) of this is I have and expremely pissed off wife who is refusing to go to the south of france in anything but poppy that was all booked for july/august. She is moaning, I am being polite, I have ploughed so much money into something that we haven't been able to use for 2 years (I think she will kill me if she knew the reals costs :) ) I have told her people spend many more years than me getting their buses ready.

So I now have the added expense of paying for a holiday for the family during the peakiest of peak seasons and the loss of the cost of the euro tunnel and camp site. I can probably move the tunnel crossing and use it another time but the campsite (which was bloody expesnive as we went for one with its own private shower/toilet etc on the pitch) is not refundable.

Not the best end to a shitty week at work. Added to which my current contract runs out on the 6th June so I need to also find some more work at some point as I wont have any money coming in after that.

And yes I do know it will be worth it in the end :) I just may be single and using it with just me and the kids.

Whats that saying - it never rains but it pours.

TGIF - why have I given up drinking.

/MOANOVER

Fuck dood, thats a shitter! can you not get the bus in a state that will enable you to take it away? it doesnt have to be fully finished does it? I would get it to liveable and driveable and then get some miles on it. Have a cup of green tea and crack on with what you can, remmeber even half an hour on it can make a difference, then at least the misses knows that you are doing everything you can and will appreciate that :mrgreen:

It's one of those things and I realsie that, the wife doesn't !!!

Midlands have gone above and beyond with my bus, I cannot fault their work, their customer service or their professionalism. Latest example. The engine bays been sprayed in a previous life, whoever did the job didn't mask the wires off in the engine bay. Yep you guessed it part of the final prep to get it up to standard they have cleaned it all up so it is looking perfect. It's all these little things that let you know they are enthusiastic about their work.

As soon as poppy is back I will get cracking to get her ready for the mot so I can actually drive her. Mot will be with just the front seats fitted.

With a bit of luck I can go and see the finsihed article on the 7th June, get Craig to deliver her back to me the following week. I am off to le mans for 5 days so I am litterally left with 2 free weekends.

I work in the london and I am up and out at 5.30am and not home until late evening. so trying to get anything done during the week is not really a runner. I need to eat and sleep at some point.

I reckon I might be avble to get her mot'd in time for Camper Jam but its a brand new engine I have no confidnece in at all. and wont be able to put any miles on it before CJ and trying to get over 500 miles before the trip to france wont happen. The last engine siezed at 750 miles hence I am a little nervous and need to get some confidence.

That's a real shitter j, I was only thinking the other day that there wasn't long til cj and it would be cutting it fine to get it there :( chin up dude, think of this year as the rehearsal and shakedown, next year will be the one 8)

68_early_bay said:
That's a real shitter j, I was only thinking the other day that there wasn't long til cj and it would be cutting it fine to get it there :( chin up dude, think of this year as the rehearsal and shakedown, next year will be the one 8)

Thats life. I am not going to let it get me down. It's not like repairing a 2 year old car. My mates splitty took 4 years in the body shop to be repaired and sprayed. So I am still doing alright :)

France is off. I am not going to rush it now, put it back together slowly and properly and get some confidence in the new engine before I venture to far a field. I can just imagine getting halfway there and breaking down. My life would not be worth living.

I'll still be at camper jam getting into the onesy spirit. Just I will be an out cast in the wifes car.... Hopefully this year I wont need a bump start from ealry splitty like I did last year :-D

Bus looks amazing and gutted for you about the delays, but consider this (it's the way I've thought about my, admittedly minor delays), you'll own this VW, hopefully, for years to come. Plenty of time to enjoy and get out in it. Do it right now and reap the rewards.
It's going to look seriously amazing.

Thanks fella, just a little frustrating. I thought I had a nice solid bus. turns out I had a very poorly repaired bus with very little rust :)

If you see a grown man in tears at Camper Jam looking at the early bays come over and say hello to me.

J.

Yes- it's a bit of a bummer when it's taking so long and I can understand your disappointment about your holiday.

On the other hand you know its in good hands and will look fab when its done. I've read other threads on here when folks are let down big time by their chosen garage after months of waiting.

Difficult to explain all that to an impatient wife though. :? ;)

Blood and sand fella :evil:

At least you will have the bus ready soon (tell your wife that mine has been a none running project for 8 plus years....)

Dude, that's not fantastic news BUT, better it be done right than done fast...

If I get sent to Southampton for work, I'll keep the evenings free and come round to help you with the build...

As others, and yourself have said, it'll be worth it in the end dude... I've had a bus for 4 years and covered the grand total of 500 miles, 200 of those were in the last 10 days!

Your bus is going to be one of the best around, a real stunner, the worst thing you can do now is rush to finish it for an self imposed deadline - you will end up doing things you will regret, or you'll slip with something and scratch the paint etc...

Totally feel your pain J, as you well know I suffered the same kind of soul destroying delays and setbacks with my bus.... for different reasons tho, but I look back now and am glad I didn't rush things to meet the deadlines that had been set. I wanted it done right so I missed 3 events I really wanted to attend, but your time will come my friend, and boy when it does....by the looks of things its going to be a real show stopper of a debut!!
Just make sure you park down the field from myself when our paths cross please, lol ;)

Just hang in there fella, keep the wife sweet and keep the faith, you got the best guys for the job in hand on your side and working their magic 8)
Not sure what you do for a living but something will turn up....it always does! FACT! ;)

It will all be worth it in the end for sure!
What an epic Mag feature this bus is going to make (if you choose to of course :? )....that'll stop the wife moaning hey! :lol:

Count yourself lucky mate, you could have a wife like mine, who refuses to camp in a vw or even talk about it, moans about them as soon as I mention them, claims I spend all my time on them (about 1hr a week if I'm lucky) and says I'm spending too much money on them etc etc
Just saying.. :mrgreen:
Yours will be stunning when finished.
Ffs dont show her this post or she might get ideas :lol:
Keep the faith,everything happens for a reason :D

Sorry to hear the news chap :(

Your bus is looking stunning tho !
U must b well chuffed with what she's looking like now :)

Just such a shame it's not gonna b on the road just yet

Don't let it get u down

U will b out in your bus before u know it and the past two years will b nothing but a bad memory , but what an awesome bus u will have at the end of it

See u out soon I'm sure

Thanks everyone. :) I do know it'll be worth it in the end.

Shorty - I'll hold you to that!!!

Foz - she already has her first mag feature I believe. A trade mag has been watching poppies progress and went to see Drew and Stuart at their place of work to do a feature on them and her. Hopefully I will be able to get enough interest to get her featured in other mags. We shall have to wait and see.

Few pics. Drew wasn't happy with the finish so it went back in the booth for another cot of primer.

This is the finish on the long panel that wasn't up to scratch.
photo%202.JPG

Back in the booth
photo%201.JPG

And the roofs been painted :)
photo%203.JPG

photo%204.JPG

That's amazing, is it the same metal or did they cut the dent out ? I wish I knew how to do things like that :!: top job.

trebor said:
That's amazing, is it the same metal or did they cut the dent out ? I wish I knew how to do things like that :!: top job.

I know, its incredible. Its the same metal believe it or not. They rear corners they have pulled out as well. It's had a new battery tray, lower valance and the outer skin on the the b pillar by the sliding door.

J.

Latest posts