rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Late steering box conversion is go, thanks Steve. :D

l2zLr.jpg

Are late RHD boxes readily available then Simon? If so this is definitely worth doing, Radish ( Darius ) on here did it and is pleased with the result.

Due to adverse meteorological conditions it's taken most of the day to collect, cut, and fit the ply bulkhead panels, refit the swing out cooker hinge, and fit the sliding door edge trim.....

ImFZS.jpg

1MAHy.jpg

Can't decide how to finish the ply, varnish or find a load of comics and stick them on.....

sparkywig said:
No, I'm lucky 'cos Zed bought this for his bus, but forgot his is left hand drive...... :lol:
Nearly, it was attached to a shell I was about to sell. But I did think for a minute I could use it for mine. :oops: No harm done though, I expect LHD ones are ten a penny...

How easy they are to source? Who knows - I sold it to Sparky for a random reasonable price because I like reading this thread and he said he was looking for one. Also, I know I'll see it in action and get some feedback on the conversion from someone I "know" and respect. Helpful and selfish all in one go. :mrgreen:

More parts for engine jigsaw.

ZBAlm.jpg

Started fettling trailer 2 today, rust attacked and new cover fitted.

fkrMt.jpg

fxH5d.jpg

I realized earlier that the trailer sides actually come off the base frame, so have sprayed WD40 on the turnbuckle fixings and hopefully I can dismantle it tomorrow.

Masked and sprayed with cold galvanising spray.

NiLVo.jpg

KM2RY.jpg

Not too sure about the finish, but I'll have to do the rest now as it doesn't match the original.

rlPkh.jpg

q6WSm.jpg

Bought some "Thompson's Water Seal" as well, so I'll have a go at the inside one of the side panels later.

creationblue said:
Are the sides composite rather than ply then?

Composite with a ply inner face, Just.
I'll give one a rub back with some fine wire wool and then a coat of sealer and see what that looks like. I like the appearance of the panels, just want to give them back some water resistance.

Breaker, breaker.....

vl0W3.jpg

As it doesn't look like ozziedog's donating his full width Westy bed, I got the Zig unit, mains and 12V socket fitted as well. I've repositioned the Propex gas bottle to this seat unit behind the driver's seat as well, so need to get the bus on a ramp to fit the hard gas pipe to the Propex under the bench seat.

GTtu8.jpg

Cleaned and polished ready for tomorrow's trip to Malvern.

Xz45n.jpg

I do love my bus. :mrgreen:

OK then, going to VanWest on Friday morning so I ripped all the mains and 12V out of the bus and relocated it in the buddy seat. :roll:

4c70q.jpg

Flexible conduit installed underneath to take the battery feeds, rewired mains sockets, took all the flexible conduit off again as I never put enough cores in (Zig unit requires earth connections from accessories.....), refit conduit again and start to connect.
Took gas hard line off as well, as I'm going to reroute this inside the bus.

K1Vcb.jpg

That's as far as I got due to it getting a bit dark.....

a5TKy.jpg

:lol:

sparkywig said:
OK then, going to VanWest on Friday morning so I ripped all the mains and 12V out of the bus and relocated it in the buddy seat. :roll:

That's as far as I got due to it getting a bit dark.....

003-9.jpg

:lol:

:D standard!

Latest posts