rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Onwards and upwards....

Shitter shining in the sun this morning.

FwfoH.jpg

Rear bumper irons Mk II, needed a bit of additional bracing with the towbar.

ivk0g.jpg

And rivnuts fitted in engine cover for the Westy bed.
I need some pics of how the frame fits to the arch and some of the original Westfalia seat base please.

cqzL7.jpg

pxUbm.jpg

Have you got the ply panels that go from the rear arch to the under seat kick panel that the door is in ? They run alongside the hinges ,support the seat base either end and should give you the location for the hinges on the arches.
I could get you a pic tomorrow if not ?

Wig,, I`ve finished with my windy issues now :lol: Just had a thought bud, why don`t you come around and have a closer look at mine as it has the rest of the box below the bed, and this is integral to the strength etc. I`m out till lateish tomorrow but give me a bell late evening as I rock back from Yeovil.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Might just be worth a sneaky peeky :mrgreen:

The wife mentioned there was a whiff of fuel out of the n/s vent yesterday, had a quick look and couldn't see anything.
So today I started it up, walked round the back and opened the engine lid to have a big flame rush out. Pulled the coil lead off to stall the engine and close the fuel cut-off solenoid.
Looks like a blank on the n/s carb fuel inlet blew out, all fixed now with a bit of fuel pipe, some clips and an 8mm bolt.
No damage other than a scorch mark on the engine bay closing panel.

4eQSq.jpg

Good job I haven't got any hair though. :lol:

Myvanway said:
Arsehole was twitching I bett!!! :shock:

Glad its all ok.
Do you have a (Auto) extinguisher system of sort Simon?

No, imo a waste of money. Another "must have" accessory.
If you keep on top of maintenance then they're not required.
In 30 odd years of VW ownership nobody I know has had an engine bay fire. This was only caused by laziness, I could've sorted it yesterday afternoon with no drama whatsoever if I was honest about it.

68_early_bay said:
Shit :shock: glad you nipped it in the bud early wig, are you going to touch up the paint, or leave it as a battle scar? :)

sparkywig said:
Good job I haven't got any hair though. :lol:

Being folically challenged does have its benefits :msn4: :lol:

I'll put it on the list of stuff to do Shaun. :)

sparkywig said:
I thought you'd sold your interior, that's why I never asked on Saturday.

Yes Wig and No Wig. ;) I have sold it but it`s still in my garage if you want to come and measure anything or look at the box construction etc etc

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, So how is your twitching arse hole a must have accessory ????????????

So today I started on the Westfakia bed base.
Borrowed some spare boards as a template, picked up a sheet of 18mm ply and started cutting.
I wanted to keep the heater outlet so slightly modified the side boards to suit, and as the seat base supports weren't fitted and there's two sets of fixing holes, I had to guesstimate the size of the front board.
Not too bad though, works fine as a seat.

ptAUh.jpg

Now there's a problem, see if you can spot the difference.

2JuTZ.jpg

This may make it slightly easier. :lol:

ErMPT.jpg

Shortening the side supports moves the front board backwards and that means that the seat base supports don't support anything.
So I started again, even though it was dark now.

rGKHI.jpg

I think I can make a duct for the heater outlet as it's now 3" behind the front board.

:roll:

Thanks to all who sent pics, info, and invitations to measure interiors, much appreciated. :)

Everything done ready for Easter, Shaun, and then use every chance I can through the summer and autumn.
Still need to finish and upholster the bed, fit the ply headlining, sort the carbs/running, fit the springplates and wheels, new aerial on front panel and then give it a clean.

Anyway, on with the wood butchery.
New front board, just needs a little fettling.

O1WD7.jpg

Bed works, a bit uncomfortable at present though.

x6roc.jpg

And it's a seat, who'd thought that.

fHhSI.jpg

Clears the seat belt mech as well.

9yJ1G.jpg

All done for today, just need to make up the arm rests and cut a new trim panel where the Propex stat and socket were previously mounted.
I'll leave the heater outlet for the moment.

fvBnw.jpg

Latest posts