rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday wasn't the most enjoyable day of ownership, which was a slight understatement. :roll:
Washing machine packed up, so the only vehicle suitable for collecting the new one was the bus (any excuse, couldn't be bothered to unload the work van either).
Off we set and got precisely a mile before the engine cut out. Did the usual checks and with Helen turning the engine over there was no apparent spark before the battery went flat.
As we were on a main commuter route in rush hour and blocking traffic, there was no way I could run home and grab some tools and a points distributor, so the AA were called to retrieve the bus.
Back home the distributors were swapped over and it fired straight up for about 30 seconds, and then ran out of fuel. Looks like some thieving shite has had half a tank of fuel away while it's been parked up. So the locking petrol cap was found in the depths of the garage and fitted.

Anyway, washing expedition part 2 was successful tonight, as in we got there and back in the bus, apart from the fact that it's being delivered on Friday. :lol:
Oh, and Helen says it's too quick now.

So it required trimming a couple of times, but it fits.

On with the second sheet.

That took most of the afternoon and early evening to get right as well.
I forgot that there would be a small gap between the sheets at the centre of the roof due to the shape of the bus, so a cover strip has had to be used. It's only that colour because the sealer hadn't dried when I took the pic.

Quite pleased with the result though.
Still got the rear section round the hinges to redo tomorrow, I was getting frustrated and it was getting dark.

And finally.

I had to use some screws to hold the rear two sheets together due to the compound curves involved, and a couple of trim pieces around the hinges to tidy them up.

Courtesy lights in and finished.

I'm pleased with how it ended up, although a bit pissed off that I mis-measured the front courtesy light and have a 6mm hole over the walk-through section. :|

That's a class headliner Sparky, three questions, what insulation is that underneath, what and where did you get the trim bits from and... Is that a Citroen van in your driveway :shock:
Jon.

Kosytoes said:
That's a class headliner Sparky, three questions, what insulation is that underneath, what and where did you get the trim bits from and... Is that a Citroen van in your driveway :shock:
Jon.

25mm celotex for sound insulation.
Which trim bits, the old hinge covers or the 3mm ply?
Yes, even after 170k odd miles it's best work van I've ever owned (and it's got a blown head gasket).

sparkywig said:
Kosytoes said:
Jon.

25mm celotex for sound insulation.
Which trim bits, the old hinge covers or the 3mm ply?
Yes, even after 170k odd miles it's best work van I've ever owned (and it's got a blown head gasket).

The ply trim over the joins, they look spot on.

Spent an hour making a couple of brackets to fit return springs on the throttle linkage. Now I can change gear without the engine racing, and pull up to a junction without having to left foot brake and stick my right foot under the throttle pedal.

In other news, stripped the Continental cooker unit.

I can say that the return springs work wonders, much better throttle feel as well.
However, I do need to align my headlights as the off-side only illuminates the bumper and about 2' in front of that.
But I'm not particularly worried at the moment.

:mrgreen:

Nice work!
Guess not much more will be happening for while now :lol:

Latest posts