rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So yesterday morning was spent down the yard. Oil and filter change, and a raise of the rear springplates to allow for the weight of the Rapido.

While I was raising the ride height, ozziedog's bus was getting new door rubbers and the Type 3 was going down slightly.
However, I think I may have slightly overdone it, a bit of nose down stance going on.

Nick's new stickers.

We set off for the Bank Holiday weekend to Dorset, less than 200 miles on the new engine and 395kg attached to the towbar.
All was well until the fuel gauge packed up, so erring on the side of caution due to already having run out of fuel twice in the last two weeks, stopped for fuel at Shaftesbury and then the engine wouldn't re-start.
After unhitching the Rapido, the attempted bumpstart didn't succeed due to a right twat cutting me up on the exit slope. So there I was, stuck right across the A350 at lunchtime on Wednesday.

:lol:

Luckily a removals van and a couple of builders stopped, and after asking if we'd run out of fuel, got us going, so back into the petrol station to hook up the Rapido and head off for the last 20 miles to our destination.

Met some friends at the entrance as we arrived and set up camp before starting on the cider.

Had a wander round the site later. Nice quiet place with good clean facilities, allows fire pits and has no mobile phone or wi-fi signal, heaven.
There's a gert lush pub about quarter of a mile away, although it is quite a dodgy road with no pavements, a blind bend and a National Speed limit.

http://www.meadowviewcaravanpark.co.uk/

http://www.drusillasinn.co.uk/

Thought I may need this to get home.....

And the original 1960's plywood fuselage mock-up for Concorde was sitting in the field next door.
I remember having a trip around this with my Grandad around 1969/70 at BAC Filton. Sad to see part of our aviation history rot away like this.

A few more turned up on Friday.

So apart from the fuel gauge and starter solenoid issues, a good weekend, the bed was comfy, and a few more miles on the engine.
Which went exceedingly well, being able to accelerate up hills in fourth with the Rapido attached was wonderful.
Although I did get a bit overconfident on the way home and push on back down the M4 until the oil temperature dipstick flickered.
Oh well, back to 55mph for a while then....

T'was a good weekend, and good to meet another Earlybayer, Justin! :D

By the way, I think I mentioned I had a rattling noise on the front of the van? It's only taken me 100+ miles of driving to notice the rattle stops every time I brake. :roll: :lol: At least that's narrowed it down again, and should be a quick fix!

Good stuff Si! Glad it's running well. Maybe you would benefit from an external cooler?

Latest posts