rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after waiting 5 weeks for Creative Engineering to actually send something after taking my money, this turned up.

fWhqv.jpg

Let the braking fun begin.

Trpyh.jpg

Off-side rear brakes removed and hub assembly bared.

CIEOj.jpg

First job is to remove the upper back plate mount.
This is the moment of no return, once you've cut this off it's not possible to fit drum brakes again.

xqecN.jpg

u90VS.jpg

Y4WIt.jpg

Qteqr.jpg

Quick coat of paint.

lf2Eb.jpg

And start on t'other side.

jxr6t.jpg

kcf3J.jpg

RES1L.jpg

0FWIw.jpg

13ZLE.jpg

sH8K2.jpg

rqBgj.jpg

Next job is to attach the calliper carrier mount. This uses the two front hub mounting bolts and the lower back plate mount.

zRyrd.jpg

tKBef.jpg

And then slip on the disc assembly.

DfmcG.jpg

K0cIM.jpg

1BxSa.jpg

eI6cy.jpg

I must admit that it was at this point a number of issues started to arise.
Firstly the instructions supplied are shite, and secondly CE customer service is shite.

Calliper carriers not in correct position.

3ruzM.jpg

This is due to the disc assembly not sitting far enough onto the hub shaft.

CovtW.jpg

:|

As we weren't getting anywhere with the brakes I decided to remedy some small clearance issues I've been having.
Not with the driveshaft or shocks, but the trailing arm catching the chassis.
So out came the grinder and the lip along the bottom edge of the chassis rails was removed.

mLufo.jpg

0nKqN.jpg

While I was there a smallish repair was done around the torsion tube for the MOT.

duChv.jpg

I think some small notches will be required soon.

We're now into day 3, and I'm getting pissed off.
The issues have been sorted, but could've been avoided with better instructions as you will see.

It appears that the 12mm spacer that sits on top of the outer hub bearing needs to be removed to allow the disc assembly to sit further onto the half shaft.
So out they came, just need to be gently pried out with a small screwdriver.

sRj3w.jpg

The disc assembly now sits further onto the splines, but the internal bolts now foul on the hub.

jp4Rv.jpg

So out comes the grinder again and the hubs are clearanced and repainted.

0jFnm.jpg

e9n53.jpg

Success.

t2G1R.jpg

Jm2Hq.jpg

On with the assembly, calliper carriers next.

1e9kF.jpg

unW4C.jpg

This didn't go quite to plan either. For some reason the carrier fouls the disc slightly on one side.
This was cured by the addition of a 10mm penny washer on the front edge of each carrier.

9bf87.jpg

Sbv4I.jpg

Calliper fitting.

douG5.jpg

ePlBn.jpg

Can you see a problem?

d4Myp.jpg

Yet again it's resolved with the grinder. Both callipers need clearancing to stop fouling the disc assembly.

79h2q.jpg

Handbrake cables now.
I needed to trim the handbrake cable tube back about 70mm each side to get the outers to fit properly so there is enough cable to attach to the callipers.

LPj5E.jpg

M1cpn.jpg

zhM2p.jpg

C7WJm.jpg

Don't attach the cables to the callipers, or operate the handbrake levers until the brakes have been bled and set up.

And now the brake pipes. CE don't supply any brake pipes so you need to source your own.
I went for Mk 4 Golf Estate rears to suit the calipers, but they need modifying to fit as well.

YXEOJ.jpg

tE5LM.jpg

What a pain in the ass, definitely wouldn't do it again and not worth the money.
Still need to sort a pair of spacers to allow the hub nuts to tighten fully.
But they do look good.

vQ79c.jpg

:mrgreen:

Not a good advert for the CE stuff :?
You will get there though.......(wheels look very 8) )

So this morning was spent taking the wife to have her eyes sorted and ringing round suppliers trying to find a '68/'69 master cylinder while I was waiting for her.
Finally found one at a GSF branch and got to the yard about 11. Dropped the old master cylinder out, got covered in brake fluid and installed the slightly modified new one.
Although I left a copper washer off a blanking plug and had to remove the master cylinder to refit it as it was drawing air into the system.
Less haste and all that nonsense......
Ozziedog appeared just before 12 and pointed out that the rear wheel bolts were fouling the brake callipers. Something else to sort out.

Just after bleeding the front brakes everybody else went home, so still have the rears to do.
I did chop 5mm off the wheel bolts and got that problem sorted before locking up and coming home.
Just the rear brakes to bleed, set the handbrake and sort the rear hub spacers. Perhaps then I can drive the bloody thing home.
Still waiting on the front disc adaptor plates before I can run Porsche fitment wheels, so have got time to clean the brake dust off and decide how to detail them.

Nice job! Was talking to Red9 about an EB rear disc conversion, said he will sort one.... After seeing your probs I think I'll wait....

Just read this thread all the way through over the last few days, well worth it and it's cool to see how far you've come with it. Nice work man.

sparkywig said:
I wanted to run a set of wheels no-one else is, so when these came up I bought them straight away.
Only I took so long to pick them up that Mycha's already got them on his bus. :lol:

I think only the pair of us will be running these.

I've had a set for mine for 3 years! Lol I too wanted to be unique!

Nice rims Si :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great thread Si and excellent pics - although not good news for CE because after reading of your issues and their lack of customer service my money is remaining firmly in my back pocket until I can work out another method of rear wide 5 disks!

Bet they will be ace when all the issues are sorted though - no more drum brake adjustments!

Nice work 8)

Nick-Rackham said:
I've had a set for mine for 3 years! Lol I too wanted to be unique!
Nice rims Si :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol: 8)

sparkywig said:
Still need to sort a pair of spacers to allow the hub nuts to tighten fully.
But they do look good.

It's also possible to turn the splines down around 15mm so your Porsche cap will fit?

Keep up the good work

Latest posts