What to do next............................................?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

Reaction score
Ok its like this, without trying to sound like a show off i've got some cash spend, infact i've got about 4.5k to spend.

I've been thinking about getting a nice bug or better still a nice ghia but i'm also getting very tempted by a large engine for the bay.

So another vw or big engine? really liking the idea of a subaru conversion and big brakes but i've fitted a new 1641cc twin carb, electric ignition this summer and because of the problems i've had with the front beam its done pretty much zero mileage.
14082008596.jpg

what do you reckon? what would you spend your wonga on?...... there is also a third option, Hang on to the cash and save like hell until i can afford a 356 kit.

ant

no good in the bank these days, as the interest rates are rubbish, buy another vw 8)

at least thats what i say to my wife :wink:

Offtopic, but which carbs are those? :)

They appear to have electric chokes on them, which I'd like for my bus whatever I go to :)

If I were you, I'd take into account that a bigger motor needs better brakes, gearbox etc too. Also, don't forget the additional running costs with running a performance motor.

If the sums add up, I'd consider a performance motor if you don't need another car.

And a fast bay is always fun... £4k could build something special 8)

They are twin solex eeerrrrr dunno, can't remember. I will have a look later tofufi :)

I think the sale of the 1641 would cover the brake upgrade. But i am running BJ dropped spindles which will not work with the csp front brake upgrade(or so i'm told) but i never factored in the gogbox :shock: Hmmmmm

id go for another vw. looks like you have a really nice bus there and in my opinion would be a shame to install a scooby motor. i think buses are much cooler the way vw intended.just my opinion :D

With a bus as nice as that it would be a shame IMO to go scooby.

If you want more power then build a nice stroker engine and fit a 2 litre gearbox or get a 2 litre crownwheel and pinion put in your existing gearbox - to get the right ratios for the extra torque and cruising speed.

Doing this is easily reversible since it wont require any cutting or welding on your bus and apart from the carbs and header/exhaust, it will still look standard.

ant said:
They are twin solex eeerrrrr dunno, can't remember. I will have a look later tofufi :)

I think the sale of the 1641 would cover the brake upgrade. But i am running BJ dropped spindles which will not work with the csp front brake upgrade(or so i'm told) but i never factored in the gogbox :shock: Hmmmmm

ive gone for a good used 2 ltr 6 rib box, around 3-400 if you can find one

The carbs will probably be Solex 23/34 pdsit's. Usually found on type 3/4 motors.

Oh, and id go for option 3.

:)

as for brake upgrades mate. there is a guy who goes by the name of futbus (google him) i will soon be sending my recently purchased bj dropped spindles to him so he can machine them so i can bolt some audi a4 turbo callipers straight on. my bus will them be running 288mm drilled groved and vented front disks. £200 for the machine work by him £30 for the a4 brakes them about £60 for the groved and drilled disks. obviously this would then make your bus 5x 112 but for around £500 he does a full rear disk upgrade with all oe vw bits 280mm solid disks t4 callipers all new off the shelf bits so when you get a calliper seize etc it is just a trip to gsf. as for the scooby lump. im all for w/c engines in the back of a dub but stick with a vw engine and 20v turbo the bus or fit a romping diesel. then you'd need the brakes. :D

Saw a really nice KG yesterday on the motorway and thought, mmmmmmm, i must be due a mid life crisis :lol: . So engine/bug, cause i'd be jealous as hell if you had a KG :wink:

leon said:
Saw a really nice KG yesterday on the motorway and thought, mmmmmmm, i must be due a mid life crisis :lol: . So engine/bug, cause i'd be jealous as hell if you had a KG :wink:

Ghia it is then :D

Oooo. Seriously hope so :mrgreen:

Go for another dub for sure, and may i suggest a type 3 :mrgreen: i did and have never looked back :wink:

i have been looking every where for nice bug/ghia but i'm a picky sod and the ones i'm interested in are out of my price range.

Anyone know of a nice solid rhd early 60's ghia thats in need of some slammed/narrowed treatment?

Latest posts