Where to go in South Wales for the day.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziedog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,, got some friends over from Australia. We have been doing whistle stop tours all over the place. We`re gonna pop over to South wales tomorrow and they`d like to see a castle ;) And a couple of other things, and grab some lunch and look round at `stuff ; :mrgreen: Which castle or castles and what else do we not dare miss out on :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Tour guide extraordinaire :lol: :shock: :lol:

That was my first thought, but I thought I`d check with you guys first. Just in case someone says "You should have done this or checked out that etc " What else to look at ?????????

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, UKs No1 Tour Guide :lol: :shock: :lol:

Wherever you decide to go, I'd definitely try to go or come home via the A466 via tintern abbey.

Tintern Abbey :shock: Great call !! How did I forget about that ???? I used to go skiing near there with our (my mates ) boat. Thanks Beef!! Thanks Clem!! and thanks Smarty Wiggs !! Two helpfull posts and one not quite as helpfull post (unless you pops over to point it out to me again :lol: ) How did I miss that bloody great thing for two whole days ??

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, So???? Where`s this castle then????? :shock: , , Oh :oops: :oops: :oops:

Best place in Wales .... the M4 eastbound ;)

Caldicot Castle is cool. :)

Ozzie...

You could do a mini castle tour of South Wales, take in Caldicot, nip across to Caerleon, the head north to Raglan - this one is quite impressive.... on to Tintern and take in Chepstow just before you hop back across the water...

Or, stay on the M4 and go to Cardiff Castle and take in Castle Coch (just north of J32) on your way home..

As an aside, the Museum of Welsh Life is a good day out, and it's free.. it's just of M4 J33...

Dub_Dreams said:
Ozzie...

You could do a mini castle tour of South Wales, take in Caldicot, nip across to Caerleon, the head north to Raglan - this one is quite impressive.... on to Tintern and take in Chepstow just before you hop back across the water...

Or, stay on the M4 and go to Cardiff Castle and take in Castle Coch (just north of J32) on your way home..

As an aside, the Museum of Welsh Life is a good day out, and it's free.. it's just of M4 J33...

What he said :)

Get down into Cardiff Bay nice food. Also Teqniquest is fun if they got kids or you are one yourself! :mrgreen:

Depends how far West you want to go. Dub_dreams suggestion is good. The museum of Welsh life (St Fagans) Has various comunities through the ages of Welsh history, their website is http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/stfagans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Gower is a worth a visit, but that is at least another hour West. http://www.enjoygower.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, they're all toytown castles down there in south Wales - the proper ones are up here in the north ;)

I'll second the vote for Cardiff Bay and St Fagan's Museum of Welsh Life - that place rocks 8)

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/stfagans/historic-buildings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions. We got into Caldicot and that was great then we had to get to a bank and do some travel agent type stuff so we headed for Cardiff and got stuck in traffic for what seemed an eternity, so we had a real good mooch around the Cardiff castle and didn`t get to go elsewhere apart from that brilliant little two storey old arcade opposite and filled the hole :lol: Got back to see a load of family and visitors at mine, that had come for tea and to see my friends :mrgreen: Got a couple of things to do tomorrow and gonna pop them up to Scotland for a little wander around after lunch and spend Sunday up there maybe Monday as well then they wanna go to London Monday / Tuesday and get over to Paris for the end of the week, :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, It`s all go innit :lol: ;) :lol:

ozziedog said:
so we had a real good mooch around the Cardiff castle and didn`t get to go elsewhere apart from that brilliant little two storey old arcade opposite and filled the hole

yo find the cheese show in the corner of the arcade? the cupcakes there are a work of art. and a godsend after being dragged into the violin shop.

Latest posts