WIRING- Oil Pressure Switch

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CleoMar

Reaction score
Seeking guidance from those more knowledgeable than I.

I pulled the engine and Trans to fix some issues with the cooling fan and shift rod. Now reassembling.

This has taken a bit of time since I am working on my own at home ENGINE Wiring.JPGhowever almost there with engine and trans back in place and most ancillaries hooked up.

The issue I am facing is the fact that I have two harnesses which access the engine bay via the firewall on the passenger side (LHD). . One has a larger red wire and a smaller black wire. I believe I can cap these two wires off since they appear to be the remnants of a conversion from generator to alternator.
The other harness has a smaller black wire and a smaller blue/green wire. I believe these wires have something to do with the OIL PRESSURE SWITCH. Does anyone know which colour goes to the OPS and where does the other one go? Coil ??

Words of wisdom will be much appreciated. C

Blue green goes to OPS for sure 👍 In case you hadn’t noticed both cables in the smaller loom have nicks in them in, could do with individual heat shrink on them.

The larger red loom and black could be the from a previous Hot Start Relay. If so, definitely worth re-instating 👍

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Very helpful. Wire covering is cracked and brittle in places and ideally should be renewed however I will patch over for the time being. Fixed up today and tomorrow I will be climbing underneath to hook up clutch, shift rod coupler, reverse switch wiring, fuel line and drive axles. Fingers crossed she may startup and run.

A blue/green wire is the norm for the oil-pressure switch and blue/white for headlamp main-beam.

For consistency, I standardized on blue with coloured tracers for most warning & tell-tale lights and green with coloured tracers for gauges; using green/brown for the fuel gauge instead of brown. Strangely, the courtesy light uses blue/red rather than red/blue, which I changed for consistency!

Well, the engine fired up HOWEVER the dash oil warning light stays on which would seem to indicate a lack of pressure. All was working correctly before I removed the engine.
How can I be sure the oil is circulating at an adequate pressure? Engine has the correct level of fresh oil.
A further thought. I guess if the blue oil pressure switch wire is grounding out somewhere this would cause the warning light to stay on.
Thx C

Last edited:

Latest posts