1969 Arctic Explorer

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snow_pikey said:
Cheers Lads :)

9bf46480.jpg

I bet that 5 cyl t25 went well - though probably rather tail heavy :lol:

The Picture of the interior intrigues me since it looks like a dormobile because of the furniture finish yet the design with the large cupboard in the back and the table fitting on the sliding door side is unfamiliar. Did the table support the bed as per normal dormy style? How did the table attach to the sliding door side? [confused smiley] Any more info on the conversion?

The Conversion was a home build using an old carpet fitted panel van and a modified Comer Camper interior (made by dormobile), the big brown unit is from a westy I think?. My Dad should sign up and post on the forum but he did email me this.....

d3e81945.jpg

"the door post had 2 keyholes . the one nearest the front the right way up and the one nearest the back upside down. the support rail had 2 little mushrooms on it so you could locate the mushrooms push down at the front and it would locate and would get firmer the more wieght you put on it .the table then just clipped to the rail. the table was not used in the bed the seat you can see in the picture was it could also be forward or rearward facing by moving the detachable backrest seen resting on the sliding door to the front or back of the seat"

Hope this answers your curiosity, crazy work as a Comer Van is 9inches wider than a T2 he had to narrow the seats and side elevating roof to match :shock:

Guess thats where it all started for me :D

So tonight.....

Bloody weather!!!! :lol:

I got the engine and gearbox out and stripped the engine back.....

87a4bfc7.jpg

44145197.jpg

29e36901.jpg

fdb7336a.jpg

0003721d.jpg

072a0fbf.jpg

23492a8b.jpg

I got it all done regardless! so tomorrow I'll sneak on the jet was and get all the tinware steam cleaned and maybe even get some painted along with the gearbox.

ffc576d1.jpg

Wow 10 out of 10 for commitment. Its horrible working under a car in the wet. Looking at the photos it looks like you have a lot more wires coming through the bulkhead than normal.

Many thanks for your explanation of the conversion - it certainly had me scratching my head for a while there :lol:

Bus looks good and sound under there - seems like only a little bit of superficial rust coming through the paint - easy to fix and protect. I guess you also plan to wax inject after painting :)

Well spotted on the wire's

I've got a bit of work sorting out some questionable repairs/additions but the rest of the loom is sweet!
Waxoiling will be the last job on the list, I should be able to just pop out all the plugs from where it was oiled from new then re-plug.

Did a bit tonight.....

Welded the tabs back on the Genuine VW heat exchangers, Jet washed and wiped down all the tinware + gearbox.....

4484b4cd.jpg
a6cbd239.jpg

After a quick rub down I primed the tinware with a smooth stone-chip and etch primer the gearbox and starter.....

05fd817c.jpg

cc4cebab.jpg

297f0a27.jpg

(some grey some black as I just used up all the odd bits of cans I could find laying round the workshop)
67a9d986.jpg

Next up the shiny stuff :) Gloss Black and satin silver for the gearbox......

97fa64e8.jpg

e39b1407.jpg

9a9d31b5.jpg

c7d942f7.jpg

915fdd86.jpg

e17e9a9b.jpg

(any cast ali bits will be getting polished up a bit on a buffing wheel for a bit of extra shine)
63496672.jpg
9c49cf63.jpg

Nice and shiny :)

There dont appear to be any cooling flaps for the thermostat in your fan shroud though - or had you removed them for painting?

The flaps and thermostat are necessary not only for a quick warm up (most engine wear occurs when cold) but also to keep the engine running at the right temperature during cool weather and for maximising the cooling flow to the cylinder heads (rather than the barrels) in hot conditions.

If they are missing, now is the time to get them fitted. Also check the deflector plates between the underside of the barrels and the push rod tubes are fitted.

I'm not just saying this because of some OCD pedantic streak. They really are important. :)

Thanks :) I knew they were missing and thanks to my friend Julian for hooking me up with some flaps so I can get my engine together this week ready for her MOT Monday..... :shock: (I recon I can do it) I've only got a list thats 2sides of A4 :lol:

Here's a link to Julians website he's very helpful, knolegable and makes a great cup of tea :D

http://www.partsemporium.co.uk/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its been a busy few days/nights. I'll paint the gloss in the engine bay next job but everything else is cleaned and painted now I think ready to get the running gear in, also the driveshafts are cleaned painted and re-booted

5ff94e70.jpg
3542d671.jpg

6dc730c8.jpg

5be92500.jpg

f0fec164.jpg
c2c0804d.jpg

a7793274.jpg

1208f1e0.jpg

b724f026.jpg

6b779f48.jpg

95023370.jpg

cbb1160c.jpg
ca97cfda.jpg
308c6761.jpg
cc58145b.jpg

Been putting in some serious time in on the Bus but not making the progress that I would like (starting to stress a little)...... I have 2-weeks to get her MOT'd and registered for my trip....... (fingers crossed the DVLA can be extra quick :lol: )

I'm finishing of bits like the door locks, seals and bits, made a new loom for the back of the bus tidying up the mess and sorting out the indicators to pass the MOT and finished off the engine which has come out alright. Tried to fit it tonight but luckily in the torch light I noticed the crack in the plate. I'll grab a new one tomorrow and hopefully get her running again :D

4abea2af.jpg

08ce27c8.jpg

818420b3.jpg

4d6f320b.jpg
0fe99fce.jpg
54b02510.jpg

8cdfb164.jpg

51044130.jpg

7cb7dd37.jpg
1d89a31a.jpg
7a7bb926.jpg
b477a287.jpg

605e351e.jpg

4489eed6.jpg

Wow, love the motor, looks great!! Where did you get your fresh air tubes? My hubby had a set like that from years ago. I put them on my bug, but sadly they were just to old and couldn't take the strain of being bent like that.

Cheers :)

The tubes came from:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Air-hose-H-duty-plastic_act_shop.product_pID_140980_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A bit of a pain to fit as one end is too small. I ended up using a heat gun to soften the smaller end an eased it over the exhaust end, then let cool, reheater to bend onto the fan clamped and let cool and they're solid! A bit of extra work but real good quality!!

Fitted the new clutch and bolted the engine in, then I was on wiring duties. I finished making the new engine loom and fuel line......

ebbd7744.jpg

f5091e94.jpg

b67b45f0.jpg

e90da43a.jpg
6533ee34.jpg

I just rested the valance on to see what it looked like, Heres some pictures of my fuel line. I think its better than running it round the inlet manifold.....

ef2a5ebe.jpg

c1946011.jpg

Hers a before and after.......

87a4bfc7.jpg

294ccf71.jpg

Worth all the hard work you've put in. Looking really good 8)
Yeah I like the new fuel line - good idea

Top job on the engine bay, the before and after picture really shows how much work you have done!

Very nice 8) but will you get away with the fuel line running like that? don't the pumps rely on the gravity to feed the suction side of the pump?

Just a thought :)

Cheers all :D

It's been (well still is :lol: ) a bunch of work but some sort of end is in site.
I took Missy for a spin up the track today, it's been a crazy busy weekend working solid on the bus with more working till gone midnight with a torch but I think I'm good to go for an MOT tomorrow........ its not done but I'll see what's needed as I'm a week behind on time to get it registered :character0051:

Here's a couple of pics and my list of jobs......

FINALLY OUT OF THE GARDEN!!!!! :party0049:

88b02e76.jpg

1b301841.jpg

01a48d05.jpg

2f6a05a9.jpg

Got my seats in very comfy much better than the random ones that were in there.....

034462f7.jpg

4b11f240.jpg

It's more complete than the pictures so fingers crossed she doesn't fail on much.... Oh and the fuel line worked fine, I had the same concerns about the route but it pumps it up and over no probs.

Thanks Ooro :)

I took her for test today and she went straight through!!!!! :D

Was really great driving Missy again and this time on UK roads, my MOT tester gave me the normal piss taking and said "makes a change to the rust sh*t you bring down" :lol:

I took a few pictures of her on the ramp:

26a83acc.jpg

28a71d89.jpg

ded55cd7.jpg

db7da206.jpg

409f8532.jpg

7d67140e.jpg
c7dcd2bd.jpg

Still loads to do but least I can make a trip to the DVLA office in the morning!!

Latest posts