1969 Arctic Explorer

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dubscum, I thought I'd take a different route and hopefully make my bus stand out a tiny bit.

Rust proofing mode tonight, totally mis-gauged how much stone chip I would need.
3litres no where close, I recon I need at least another five. You can tell I'm not in the bodyshop as I'm back to using bin bags and news paper to mask up :lol:

Here's my shiny windows in, Very happy with them :)

a0bcc9c8.jpg

787eac86.jpg

And the stone chip..... I'm going to give it a couple of good coats, then underseal it. I've got nothing to hide but being in europe it's got to be best for the long run.

d3ce2e33.jpg

999092e9.jpg

cc3b0fdf.jpg

2e8a2141.jpg

9906ee89.jpg

53141805.jpg

The whole underside will be done and I think I might pull out the gearbox when I take out the engine to paint and stone chip in there as well.

Airtime said:
Really good job with the stone chip, but what I really like is the shine of your bus! It's like a mirror:

Thanks, Airtime (great name) I still keep looking at it and cant believe its my bus :D my buses normally look real shady :lol:

Started to deal with the suspension bits tonight, the ball joints were a bit tougher to get out than I thought they would be but after hitting them with the torch they knocked out in the end.

17cfebe2.jpg

After I had all the bits stripped I degreased them and jet washed everything, then rubbed back with a wire brush, then painted gloss black......

0d4f0b0b.jpg

e63cf64f.jpg

47601e41.jpg

d4201e16.jpg

6ecc8dc5.jpg

e7a56170.jpg

I realised after painting there were 2 mistakes made........

1st I forgot to paint the anti rollbar and 2nd I should have pressed in the new balljoints before painting :roll: oh well another night....

3 good coats of stone chip as far back as the rear outriggers to help keep it all solid for another 40 years. The best thing is that's all original apart from the small patches in the cab floor and one wheel tub which was a genuine VW panel :D

I really hope we will still be able to drive Old cars in 40 years time and this bus is still in use. Hopefully new laws don't take them off the road, after all it's got to be greener to recycle and reuse rather than keep buying modern disposable cars that are designed to only last a set amount of time so you have to get a new one.........

62f5882c.jpg

503b1dcd.jpg

66913aa0.jpg

d0eaaf1b.jpg

a8d2880a.jpg

f7cbbd50.jpg

9e7dfaa0.jpg
2c609322.jpg
44ebebed.jpg

Tomorrow nights job.......

7a7760f2.jpg

This glass polish, called glass glow its amazing!!

http://www.autosmart.co.uk/Glass%20Cleaners.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

snow_pikey said:
This glass polish, called glass glow its amazing!!

http://www.autosmart.co.uk/Glass%20Cleaners.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks, now to figure out how to buy it in the US! LOL I found a place in the UK, I will try to email them to see what it would cost me in US dollars! :D

Thanks for the tip!!

There 185 R14 I really wanted 195 but they didn't have any stock but after getting them I recon they will be great!! :)

Here's a link :

http://www.tyresdirectuk.co.uk/xcart/product.php?productid=17105&cat=250&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There 8ply side walls which is over spec for the weight, which is great and they're only 25quid a corner. They stock them for classic rallying.

Tonight........ (wish it didn't get dark so early :(

3fc89459.jpg

Bit more done this weekend and a few more jobs found that I've now got to do....

Pictures of the front suspension jobs, new wheel cylinders, hoses, centre pin, ball joints and fresh grease all round...

d1742845.jpg

6c343fc3.jpg

361f9cfc.jpg

Finally got to bolt on my painted wheels and tyre, very happy with them :D

9231867b.jpg

0240a81a.jpg

28cd75f6.jpg

Back end is stripped out. What a mission I ended up using an inch drive nut gun to get the hub nuts undone, the drums needed pulling off!! I knew the rear brakes needed doing but in Canada I didn't have the tools to get the drums off and what was inside wasn't pretty :shock:

8cb21fb0.jpg

43797c51.jpg

a480ed3b.jpg

78579600.jpg

The LH side the lining had come off the shoes :shock:

So now I have a bunch of messy parts again so this week will be cleaning painting and tidy ready to build up with new brake shoes, cyliders, hoses, shocks and CV boots.

66b62db9.jpg

cfd561c2.jpg

8b7971c4.jpg

7c4ce3b3.jpg

Decided tomorrow night (if it's not raining :lol: ) Engine and Gearbox out for cleaning and painting. I've done this much I may as well go the whole distance :D

b38b374e.jpg

Cheers Lads :)

I was rubbish and got nothing done tonight....... not cool!

But what is cool is this picture my Dad sent me yesterday,

Me (the blonde kid) and my little brother (the other kid) drawing and or colouring in the back of our family bus in the late 80's :D

9bf46480.jpg

And a couple more VW oldies that he has digitised from old negatives it's kinda cool I get emailed any V-Dub ones as he makes his way through all the old negative's they've saved....... who ever would have know then, that I'd be putting them on this thing called the interweb :lol:

49a5cb1d.jpg

The Beetle I drove after passing my test and my split I got soon after....
9cc1b1c9.jpg

LEFT 2 RIGHT: T25 Syncro panel, Slightly lower and more rusty split, T25 with 5cyl Audi engine conversion and my Mum & Dads Bus

Latest posts