Cunning Bus Project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great under carriage you have there now :mrgreen:

Like the blow over with the paint too - going to be one nice bus when finished 8)

Cheers gninnam :D

I've had a bit of a break from the bus as I have been concentrating on other things, but recently I have been putting together a speadsheet to plan out how to put everything back together properly and organise what's left to buy.

Screenshot2011-12-07at091247.png

I also forgot to take some broken bolts out of one of the side-covers. As I tried to extract the bolt, it damaged the fresh paint :roll: :oops: :|

Re-tapping the captive nut didn't work, so I ground off the nut ends to weld on a new nut and fix with fresh stainless bolts.

DSCF0308.jpg

DSCF0307.jpg

I finished the dash-top though. All ready to go in when I complete the dash area.

DSCF0309.jpg

DSCF0312.jpg

All new stainless screws from Volksbolts. 8) Something very satisfying putting together new, fresh parts :mrgreen:

DSCF0311.jpg

DSCF0310.jpg

Most of the work over xmas was preparation work ready to start the rebuild.

Dash

The other-side of the welded dash was cleaned up and given a layer of POR15, ready to go in when the loom's done.

DSCF0341.jpg

DSCF0339.jpg

DSCF0330.jpg

Rear Hatch

POR15 paint down ready to give that extra protection against standing water. It looks tidy as the rubber seal sits on top of it.

DSCF0314.jpg

DSCF0317.jpg

DSCF0329.jpg

DSCF0328.jpg

DSCF0320.jpg

DSCF0318.jpg

DSCF0340.jpg

DSCF0349.jpg

New stainless fixings 8)

DSCF0360.jpg

New seal nicely in.

DSCF0361.jpg

Fuel Filler Cap

Took this section apart to clean up properly and put protection paint down.

DSCF0345-1.jpg

DSCF0350.jpg

DSCF0352.jpg

DSCF0351.jpg

DSCF0359.jpg

I also sourced a new filler pipe and clips from Demon Tweeks as the one on VW Heritage is wrong!

Deck Lid
Did some straightening out of the metal lip ready to accept the rubber seal, then put down protection paint again.

DSCF0354.jpg

DSCF0353.jpg

Headlining
Started pealing back the old headlining so I can put some protection paint around the window seal areas. Plus I need this down anyway ready to install a new one. I might POR15 the whole inside roof depending on condition. Then build up sound proofing / headlining

DSCF0344.jpg

DSCF0343.jpg

DSCF0348.jpg

Front Screen and Clip
Following on from the above. I also put as much P15 as I could over the inside-lower clip area. I imagine condensation will like to pool there.

DSCF0347.jpg

Front screen surround done.

DSCF0346.jpg

Rear Bumper Irons and Spot Light Brackets
Cleaned up some South African rear bumper irons and coated in a couple of layers of P15 along with some spot-light brackets.

DSCF0315.jpg

DSCF0342.jpg

DSCF0331.jpg

Side Cover
O/S side cover, straightened up the locating metal lip and again applied protection paint down on inside of covers and around shell location, new fixings and welded captive nuts.

DSCF0313.jpg

DSCF0319.jpg

DSCF0316.jpg

DSCF0337.jpg

DSCF0332.jpg

DSCF0338.jpg

Nice job 8)

But - I thought for POR 15 to do its job properly it requires to be painted either on rusty (not flakey though) metal or bar metal that has been etched - have you been applying over the primer and if so have you found that this is OK??

Technically, you're right, slightly rusty metal is what is has been formulated to work best with, but it will stick to practically anything. I have it on my fuel tank, right over the old paint and it has stuck solid for years 8)

So, it will be fine! Anyway, it isn't primer, it just hasn't got a gloss layer ;)

ZedBed said:
Looking good CP. Did you sort out the jammed front suspension?

Cheers Zed.

I haven't touched the front suspension yet, but I have been trying it from time to time and it does seem to have more spring in it the longer it has been on its wheels. I will have to take a proper look when I go back over all the front suspension. I have it on my list to go back through to double check and re-torque up.

I'll let you know if I find anything broken as I know you were interested for future reference.

____

Rack goes on!

DSCF0364.jpg

DSCF0365.jpg

DSCF0366.jpg

A little early for the rack - sure, but I wanted it off the floor before it got damaged, plus I can actually use it as storage! I also need a bit of motivation out in the garage in the cold winter nights :|

DSCF0367.jpg

Also started cleaning up the rear-hatch mechanism.

cunning plan said:
Technically, you're right, slightly rusty metal is what is has been formulated to work best with, but it will stick to practically anything. I have it on my fuel tank, right over the old paint and it has stuck solid for years 8)

So, it will be fine! Anyway, it isn't primer, it just hasn't got a gloss layer ;)

Fair enough mate :D

Rack looks good perched on the roof 8)

Parts arrival!

DSCF0371.jpg

Assorted fresh parts along with brand new front opening quarter lights 8)

DSCF0373.jpg

All genuine, although stamped made in Brazil, so I will have to watch how they do against the English weather. :?

DSCF0372.jpg

New glass too, rear screen and both cab door drop-glass.

Airtime said:
Good to see progress again! :D Rack looks great and may I ask where you found those new opening quarter lights? :msn4: :D

Cheers dude 8)

Sure, here:

http://www.customandcommercial.com/details.aspx?id=1136&Sub_Category=1735&group=61&category=210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.customandcommercial.com/details.aspx?id=1137&Sub_Category=1735&group=61&category=210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As you made me look again, it made me notice that the frame is Aluminium, so I won't have to worry about:

cunning plan said:
although stamped made in Brazil, so I will have to watch how they do against the English weather. :?

:mrgreen:

Hey Jas,

No I didn't - no idea where they have gone :roll: I bought some new ones instead :|

I also can't find the slam-catch for the rear-hatch :oops: I am sure when the bus is back together, I will find all these parts that I have put in a 'special box in a special place'. :sign0023:

Fuel flap sorted.

DSCF0408.jpg

DSCF0409.jpg

DSCF0414.jpg

DSCF0413.jpg

Locking chrome cap was damaged in the post, picking a new one up from the C&C boys at a show (helpful dudes).

Hatch catches done:

DSCF0380.jpg

DSCF0376.jpg

Rear hatch on and aligned. It isn't perfectly in the middle though which is annoying me, but it is as good as I can get it. Might take it to Dubs and Classic's Jason to apply his skills on when it is back on the road..

DSCF0405.jpg

DSCF0425.jpg

Deck lid on.

DSCF0426.jpg

All new fittings - new prop here.

DSCF0427.jpg

New hinges and stainless fixings.

DSCF0428.jpg

DSCF0429.jpg

Sneaky look at some new stickers 8)

Latest posts