Motor ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gagvanman said:
Ozzie, you don't need to take the flywheel off to split the case. Once split, If you have a big enough vice you can use that to hold the flywheel while you undo the gland nut.

Good luck though, I went through a similar process recently before deciding to build a new engine from scratch...

I had that very thought going round in my head, and my bud said similar, I’m just thinking with the leverage required it would be way too easy for a clumsy old fart like me to damage some of the gubbins with the amount of force generated with an eight foot scaffold tube. Part of the problem is not being able to form a counter lever and the other is having several sockets to fit but all are 3/4 drive so wouldn’t go on my windy gun. Problem solved though today with 1/2 to 3/4 adapter and then the windy gun span it off a treat. So I’m off up there in a minute and I’ll split the cases and we can see what’s occcurrring :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,SSssssightin innit, ,,,, ,,, probably spensive tooo :mrgreen:

You could always use one of these, requires hardly any effort to undo that nut. Anyone close enough to lend you on? I would lend you mine but I am way across the other side of the country.

Ok, thanks guys, one and all. Nice when everyone comes out of the woodwork and tries to help, it’s great. So where are we. Got a 3/4 to 1/2 inch adapter and the windy gun shook it loose in seconds. Split the case and now can see what’s what. Davi is closest as in it looks like the shoulder off the thrust bearing and it’s been allowing the cam to slide up and back and a little out of control . This in turn has marked up the case and we’ll see if we can resolve it when I get a new bearing. Who’s got the best gaskets etc now then ? And where to get them?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,there’s a few other issues but less major :mrgreen:

Ozz I can get a big boy truck size torque wrench and sockets if you need them. The only issue being it would need to be out and back in within the day. I work in Cardiff so it’s a short hop over the bridge. You can bring the engine to me or I could bring them to you if you are in need. I also have a JK fly wheel locking tool.

All the engine builders who post to youtube recommend Silverline camshaft bearings, get the double thrust type...

Ok, we’re on the track of something here. We’re in the case, we’ve cleaned up a bit, we’ve had another clean then we cleaned some more. My bud has got a camshaft ‘double thrust’ bearing and we now think we’ve found the real issue . Popped the bearing complete with both shoulders in and sat the cam in it, there is zero end float absolutely zilch, nada, nuffink, none, none at all, not even a little bit :shock: Now this is on a motor with 25K or thereabouts, so what was it like when the motor was new ? I’m guessing this has been getting hot and melted the shoulder of the bearing until the shoulder came away and found it’s way into my strainer :roll: Now the other highly visual issue was the zoorst rocker on 4 was grinding out the springy thingies and the big clip that holds the rocker to the shaft and that happened twice or more than twice perhaps but only on the one cylinder and only stopped happening when I fitted some old style rocker gear off of an old styleee motor. The other side has the original Brazilly type rocker shaft with springs on each end and nylon spacers in between. I was hoping to find something obvious when I got inside the cases but not a clue. Any ideas?
Take bearing out tomorrow on my day off and give him a little rub on some wet and dry and see about getting some float, even if it’s a tiny bit. As my pal has said, no float, no gap, no oil.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,and that’s what it’s all about :mrgreen:

Suggestions please on a while the motors out type thing? As what to get.
Humming and hahing about pushrod tubes now , springers ?
Gasket sets, zoorst etc.
Oil change set.
Air filters and converting to take crank case breathing.
Ideas on snap connecter for number plate light :msn4:
Exchangers / fan housing pipes.
Butties throttle, yes been gonna do it.
New throttle cable
Engine / tinware rubber.
Carb and manifold gaskets
Clutch friction plate
Needle and seat and floats x2
Fuel pump
Flywheel seal .
Think of anything else? :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, what’s good and where ??? :mrgreen:

I would be tempted to stick a 110 cam in and port the heads. Defo spring push rod tubes and bolt up rocker shafts.

67panel said:
I would be tempted to stick a 110 cam in and port the heads. Defo spring push rod tubes and bolt up rocker shafts.

YES!!
But you would be tempted to run a supermarket trolley up the quarter mile wouldn’t you! :shock: :p :shock:
So what tubes then and what gasket set etc? What’s with the bolt up rocker shafts then and that’s almost what I have with that Brazilly shaft.
What’s with the rubber mallet tapping ? Any ideas? :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,trying to just get back on the road :mrgreen:

Ozzie, those double float bearings come oversize as normal, you have to sand them down on a piece of emery on a flat surface (piece of glass or tile) to get the required end float for your particular engine.

gagvanman said:
Ozzie, those double float bearings come oversize as normal, you have to sand them down on a piece of emery on a flat surface (piece of glass or tile) to get the required end float for your particular engine.

That’s exactly what I’ve been hearing from most peeps however Theres a few that reckon you gotta tap them to and fro with a mallet. Apparently there’s several threads on the samba about it . ;) :mrgreen:

Ozziedog. ,,,,,,,,confusing innit :mrgreen:

Used the double thrusts in the race motor and had to use some wet and dry and oil to dress them to fit.

Now wheres that shopping trolley?

So! Where do I get my springy tubes and what gasket set? I’ve got a bit of a list already and I’m not even trying yet.
Separate topic, I got the big square top doghouse for my fan and oil cooler, I’ve got a smaller fan housing like a half round one,I’m assuming it’s beetle ??? Will the flaps from this one fit my fan housing? That’s a little job that needs doing too, just if anyone knows.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,anyone got a shopping list ready ? :mrgreen:

I’m also assuming that double thrust means having a shoulder on each side, or am I being thicker than normal :msn4:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,I’m well practised at it :mrgreen:

You assume correct , Elring gasket set, shop around for the tubes. Got mine from Heritage but not cheap, bolt up rocker shafts have a washer and bolt at the end to do away with the spring clips . I would use the big fan housing as long as its a twin port one, small round one is a pattern 30HP?
beetle one.

I am quite good at being thick as well!!

Just my take….

Erling gasket set
Silicone dual lip rear main seal
Fast fab or Jaycee spring loaded push rod tubes
Silver line steel backed main bearings
Silver line dual thrust cam bearings
Engle W100 is nice in an otherwise stock engine
Bolt up rocker shafts (wise upgrade even on a stock motor)
Give the heads a tickle
Electronic ignition
Exhaust: anything but vintage speed :lol:
Braided universal throttle cable, better than that solid shit

67panel said:
You assume correct , Elring gasket set, shop around for the tubes. Got mine from Heritage but not cheap, bolt up rocker shafts have a washer and bolt at the end to do away with the spring clips . I would use the big fan housing as long as its a twin port one, small round one is a pattern 30HP?
beetle one.

I am quite good at being thick as well!!

Yup, I’m all over that with the Elring but still not sure about the bolty rocko Shafters mainly because I haven’t got a reason for the unruly behaviour of the original rocker gear . Springy tubes has to be the way forward too.
Now the fan housing,,,,, I got the big one, I got the lickle one. The lickle one is complete with all sorts of flappy goodness :msn4: Will these flaps fit my big housing? That’s what I’m asking, then I can squeeze them out of the lickle one and drop them in to the big un and I’m sure I got a thermo wot not somewhere , then I’m cooking :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,or cooling :mrgreen:

Latest posts