Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job. Need you to come and do mine... it's been sitting on the garage floor waiting for me to do that for nearly 3 years!

kevinhall said:
Nice job. Need you to come and do mine... it's been sitting on the garage floor waiting for me to do that for nearly 3 years!

Thanks Kevin :D
Will be round after to start on yours ;)

Spent another 4 hours cleaning again (seems to go on forever....)

Bottom of the gearbox:
20150201_142639_zpsf84f519d.jpg

20150201_142647_zpsd843d569.jpg

Top:
20150201_150244_zps57d6ee45.jpg

20150201_150252_zps1ac00361.jpg

And the end:
20150201_163635_zps1d460884.jpg

Just needs a full degrease and will be ready for some paint - not sure which colour to go for though - what do you reckon (van is read so thinking going for the same??)

Cheers.

Nice work on the cleaning! :party0021:

gninnam said:
Just needs a full degrease and will be ready for some paint - not sure which colour to go for though - what do you reckon (van is read so thinking going for the same??)

Cheers.

A darker version of the red for the bus would be good as a light colour will show all dirt and make the underneath look worse, unless you regularly clean it.

I considered painting a few chassis components yellow, but then decided against it after thinking about dirt. I think red should be fine though. :D

looks mint, great job, you are putting us all to shame.

I only noticed how dirty mine was when i fitted the reversing switch last year, I must have a go myself.

Regards
Pete

cunning plan said:
Nice work on the cleaning! :party0021:

gninnam said:

Cheers.

A darker version of the red for the bus would be good as a light colour will show all dirt and make the underneath look worse, unless you regularly clean it.

I considered painting a few chassis components yellow, but then decided against it after thinking about dirt. I think red should be fine though. :D

Thanks - think your right - might go for a dark read then.
Another question though - heat resistant or not?

Pellwood said:
looks mint, great job, you are putting us all to shame.

I only noticed how dirty mine was when i fitted the reversing switch last year, I must have a go myself.

Regards
Pete

To be honest, it being dirty will not affect how it works and you very rarely see it, but I thought while it's out (oh err missus) and I can't do the body work, may as well do something..

Once this has been done, will start on the engine (scared - not been used for at least 5 years............)

That's some serious elbow grease!
Did you really just use a manual wire brush? :eek:

Not sure it's worth heat resistant... the closest source of decent heat source is the heat exchangers, right? And I reckons that is far enough away not to bother!

I've got a fair wedge of spare engine bits, so give me a shout before spending some pennies on parts ;)

gninnam said:
Another question though - heat resistant or not?

gvee said:
Not sure it's worth heat resistant... the closest source of decent heat source is the heat exchangers, right? And I reckons that is far enough away not to bother!

You have done so much work there, you would not want to do it all again, so I would choose heat resistant on the basis that it should be more durable to stone chips than normal paint and in the middle of summer on hot tarmac when your bus has just finished a long drive, I would guess that it would be fairly warm. :msn4:

Either way, keep the pictures coming.. :poke:

gvee said:
That's some serious elbow grease!
Did you really just use a manual wire brush? :eek:

I've got a fair wedge of spare engine bits, so give me a shout before spending some pennies on parts ;)

A little bit of mechanical help was involved ;)

And cheers for the spare engine bits - hoping it will be good but you never know...... :D

cunning plan said:
gninnam said:
You have done so much work there, you would not want to do it all again, so I would choose heat resistant on the basis that it should be more durable to stone chips than normal paint and in the middle of summer on hot tarmac when your bus has just finished a long drive, I would guess that it would be fairly warm. :msn4:

Either way, keep the pictures coming.. :poke:
Cheers mate.

Was thinking of THIS to paint the gearbox with - what do ya think??

gninnam said:
Was thinking of THIS to paint the gearbox with - what do ya think??

I have not seen that before! :shock:

Depends how kinky your wife is I guess... :lol:

:whip:

cunning plan said:
Depends how kinky your wife is I guess... :lol:

:whip:
you sick puppy... :lol:

Not seen it in use but have been aware of it for some time and like the idea of it (was thinking of spraying the van with the paint as I wouldn't need a perfect base to work with..........)

mike202 said:
Not sure about the rubberised paint.

I'd quite like a nice light grey paint if I was doing mine.
Why not the rubber paint?

I have seen a gearbox done in grey and it looked OK, but I want to jazz up the underneath.

mike202 said:
There's fifty shades to choose from :lol:
Fifty shades to choose from my arse :lol:

I would have thought that any damage to the paint skin might result in water and dirt getting held underneath the surface against the metal. As opposed to normal paint just chipping.

Not that I'm an expert on rubber or anything :lol:

mike202 said:
Not that I'm an expert on rubber or anything :lol:
Who is :lol:

Understand your reservation.
The website has plenty of vids of the product and they reckon that it grips well and should stay on indefinitely.
Is a bit expensive but might be a good choice as with it being rubber, it should be a good way of protecting the van and also supposed to be easy to patch any nicks...

Still a while before I will be at that stage so ;)

Started to work on the starter motor - very rusty but solid.

20150207_114511_zps45a456cb.jpg

20150207_114511_zps45a456cb.jpg

The piggy back module (forgot what it's called :lol: ) cleaned up and ready for some rust proofing:
20150207_114519_zpsca7f8880.jpg

Start of the proofing:
20150207_123059_zps81f83f47.jpg

The main unit cleaned up and the proofing added:
20150207_123106_zpse2c386dd.jpg

Ran out of etch primer so hope to tart up tomorrow (plus allows the proofer to do it's job better.

Turned my attention to the cleaned up gearbox. After a few coats of etch primer and normal primer:

20150207_134716_zps65063398.jpg

20150207_134725_zps469eaeea.jpg

Hoping tomorrow to finish of the starter then check it still works.
Then get some VHT paint for the gearbox and give it a few coats.

Cheers

Latest posts