Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
68_early_bay said:
Nice job, when do you want me to drop my box and starter off ? :lol:

Cheers.
Just drop it off when have nothing left to do on the van ;)

You guys have all gone just a little bit weird :shock: Someone mentions rubber and it all goes a bit crazy :p Just for the gearbox, I`d use any old paint in any colour that floats your boat as it ain`t gonna be protecting anything at all, so just for looks really. With the underside of the van, it might be worth considering that these are forty odd years old and have survived all that time without the aid of extra tricky super duper all singing and all dancing paint :? But also they have survived forty plus years of mostly being un sheltered and not perfectly cleaned for a whole life time of salty roads and all sorts of crap being chucked at them :shock: Now a days most of these vans will lead a sheltered life and not be exposed to dreadful winter conditions like ice and road grit and salted roads etc etc etc, most won`t even be allowed out to play if it`s raining :lol: As always,, it`s your bus so your rules and your choice, but I think we go a little overboard sometimes once we have got rid of the rust. I don`t think they used heat resistant paint on the bus at all, maybe the exchangers themselves but that`s about it. I do like the sound of a red gearbox though, but then I`d never clean it so no one would know apart from the mot man on the first year only :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Clean is good!!!!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Nice short read there Ozzie ;)
But, all the bottom of mine has been near enough replaced so what ever VW did wasn't good enough.
But, decided to not use the rubber paint so going for some VHT so will let you know how it goes !!

The gearbox had a coat of VHT paint and ended up dull and flat but not to bad:

20150208_124424_zps8b922dbe.jpg

20150208_124434_zps31ad1e05.jpg

Dusted over the starter and piggyback thingy with etch primer:
20150208_124447_zpsd063c7f3.jpg

20150208_124451_zpsde746d7d.jpg

Gearbox now shiny - used some lacquer (oil resistant) to brighten it up:
20150208_142114_zps94318b28.jpg

20150208_142124_zps1c1e8098.jpg

Sprayed the body of the starter with black paint and now mounted back again (having re-greased the inside of the starter):

20150208_164540_zps51769b02.jpg

20150208_164552_zps13a8c72e.jpg

Next - will get the engine sorted next :mrgreen:

That looks brilliant, if I had that under my bus, I`d want to jack him up once a week just to have a look at it :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Loooooookin good bud :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
That looks brilliant, if I had that under my bus, I`d want to jack him up once a week just to have a look at it :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Loooooookin good bud :mrgreen:

+1

Cheers guys :oops:

While the weather is pants I though I ought to do something and cleaning the engine and gearbox is something I can do in the garage - so why not.
How long it will stay that clean is another question ;)

great job, gearbox and starter are looking really good, you must be chuffed with that, I know I would be.

Pellwood said:
great job, gearbox and starter are looking really good, you must be chuffed with that, I know I would be.
Cheers :D
Pleased - just wish it was the body work I am working on, but to damp and cold to work on the van outside...

Very small update.
During the weekend started on the engine dismantle to check it over an also give a good clean - very therapeutic I must say ;)

Started with this:
20150211_184035_zpsd950cc5b.jpg

Got the horrible good knows what carb off:
20150211_193249_zpsdf965a21.jpg

Got the tinware off (rusted screws were a real pain:
20150213_184829_zps16e82b08.jpg

What was left of the exhausts off but one of the studs snapped so not happy with that:
20150213_191731_zpsd3d01914.jpg

Getting there:
20150213_194917_zpsedb4e865.jpg

Got the crankshaft pulley off and started to clean this area:
20150214_142430_zps0ef5f3d0.jpg

I need to get the flywheel off so I can mount it to my engine mount jig thing but I see that you need a very large bar to get it off so will ask my local garage if I can borrow one this week.

Cheers

Nice work, glad to see you are still going, it is a marathon!
When I took my flywheel off I went to a scrap metal merchant and picked up a couple of lengths of dexion/big Meccano looking stuff, bolting them together makes a strong bar that can then be bolted to the flywheel as a long lever to stop it moving, you can then get the leverage you require to undo the flywheel nut with a breaker bar. You are welcome to borrow it but I'm down by Gatwick so a bit too far.
Also, you can buy oversize exhaust studs if you can't get that one off.
https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/N0144832/stud-m8-exhaust-stud-repair-oversize-m8-m10-x-38mm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts