Push rod tube bent!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saercoed

Reaction score
Been cleaning the engine as it was out (well in fact it has not been in van since we purchased it over two years ago!) and I had to drill out the Fuel Pump Flange which had snapped off inside ! ( I tried tap it then insert a bolt first but no joy).
So decided to clean - and I noticed that one of the push rod tubes appears to be bent!
What do I do? Is it a case of stripping the engine down further or are there any other options?
7163b3fbbad6956ab11e292428198caa.jpg
79e811fa381e1b1cdae1f8b52b486b25.jpg
32eab10460aaecd83f1568a39094687b.jpg

You can remove the pushrod, pry the old tube away and use one of these two-piece pushrod tubes for an easy fix!

Looks like a few of them look damaged, while engine is on the bench I'd change them, it's not a major job to take off the rocker and head, change the seals also.

That's not bent.

My PO had fitted two-part sprung tubes that leaked. But being this battered didn't help.

One or two of the pushrods were bent as well, so I changed the set. I used plain tubes in the end, with new seals, because the heads had to come off anyway for pulled studs :roll:

4705F298-620C-4EB7-B99F-5B0026BE5BCB.jpg

631EA1CA-5DEE-4A95-9AE8-397CD7711066.jpg

Saercoed said:
I am summoning up the courage to replace the tubes with new !

I would go the new route whilst the engine is out, take the rocker covers off, undo the two nuts that release the rockers and take note of where the pushrods go so you put them back in the right order as they wear unevenly. Then undo the head bolts and carefully take off the head being careful not to break the barrel seals where they meet the block.

I have used the Empi sprung tubes and they have leaked, The Jaycee tubes are better so I'm told with the 'inner' o-ring' but I'm yet to try. They are expensive so cant see why you would use these whilst the engine is out

Thanks. Replacements ordered with new set of seals. Do I need to get some tube sealant/ silicone/ grease to coat the new seals etc?

This sort of stuff?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiUgLfuiu3LAhWFZA8KHfskBxcQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.woodiesdiy.com%2Fproduct%2F3-in-1-silicone-lubricant%2F17245%2F4.15.4&psig=AFQjCNH52xvycKBGjwpRmn63poj2dfz6fw&ust=1459587911375606" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used this sort of stuff to lubricate the seals

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlube-SILICONE-Multi-Purpose-Grease-20g-Water-Repellent-Resistant-Long-Last-/400344619952?hash=item5d36661bb0:g:AUcAAOSwd4tT1R9O" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$_12.JPG

My shiny new spring loaded pushrod tubes are totally leak free too
Think they are an improved design from others available due to the 2x added o-rings on the bore

Although time will tell!

Latest posts