rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right then, my current woes have been diagnosed as worn rear hub carriers, rather than something I did or didn't do during reassembly. :roll:
Last weekend I stripped the hub carriers and replaced both sets of wheel bearings before fitting the shorter late bay stub axles. The horrible graunching noises coming from the rear when driving are the new wheel bearings rotating in the carriers.
So the hunt is on for "new" rear hub carriers, early or late, or I won't make Ninove again....

As I'm away working in Port Isaac until the end of February and the bus is sitting all unloved at Nick's yard, he's given the sliding door a bit of tough love.
Repair panels from Schofields, pics from Nick's phone.

PfsZD.jpg

ZGLEo.jpg

ZFp0r.jpg

GYT3P.jpg

PqcN5.jpg

FgYZH.jpg

qzJcX.jpg

hYQPO.jpg

z1I2N.jpg

So after many weeks of frustration and unsuitable rear hub carriers (including "NOS" and "reconditioned" :roll: ), I'm back to where I was at the beginning of January.
The decision was taken last night to re-use my existing hub carriers, and so this morning a tried and tested method of installing bearings in classic cars was used.
To say I'm happy with the result would be an understatement, I'm fucking ecstatic. :D

During it's long stay at Nick's yard he repaired the sliding door (as seen in previous pics), replaced the nearside sills and had the nearside painted. So I've got a half shiny bus now.
Didn't manage to get these done due to the hub carrier issues..

4hQYI.jpg

New wheels fitted though. :D

xMEjy.jpg

Back at home waiting for a good clean and a rolling road session early next week. Might try and get that shitty rear hatch replaced this week as well.

vMw8c.jpg

Looking good Bud nice slider & wheels 8)
Springs nearly here, will be coming out of the woodwork soon :msn4: :lol:

Thanks chaps, I'm over the moon with them.

Just need to get some spacers on the rear to help fill the arches, and stop the handbrake cables rubbing. :roll:
The ironic thing is that I swapped to late stub axles so I can fit a centre cap on the teledials, but I can't on the turbo wheels without a spacer. :lol:

PLVon.jpg

NC8H1.jpg

The front end will be narrower once I get the hub plates drilled and the adaptors come off.

Busy week this week, but managed to get a rolling road session in on Monday. I've been looking forward to this.
Started well enough though.
Strapped down and ready to roll.

n0jRK.jpg

More trauma.... :lol:
Unfortunately we couldn't get any good clean consistent runs. Readouts were all over the place, and well down on expected output.
One one stage it flatlined at 47bhp at 2500rpm. :lol: Staring to get fucked off, even if the bus does drive really well.
Couldn't get to the cause of the problem until we swapped the distributor.
Bearing in mind that this was a brand new Powerspark dizzy, I'm not too happy, timing all over the place, baseplate bent, and one of the two return springs missing.
Bingo, consistent runs at last. Then an hour of jetting changes.

ym4us.jpg

A wasted morning really, and due to the mucking about with the distributor, transmission losses were higher than usual because the gearbox oil had cooled and the new gearbox is still tight.

M3Hr7.jpg

Still not putting out what we expected of the build due to the VS exhaust and heat exchangers robbing horsepower. Although VMax is consistent with road use.
Going to swap for a Turbo Thomas system after Ninove and put it back on the rolling road to get the jetting changed to suit the exhaust.

SVDA distributor, rear wheel spacers, new flooring and rear hatch all to be done before Friday.
Shame I'm in Southampton tomorrow and away working in Newmarket next week. :lol:

Latest posts