our shed (72 crossover)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, day 2 of 8, didn't quite go to plan. :(

First up we decided to tackle a bit more chassis work. THe cab floor repair needed completing still, but couldn't be done until the wheel was off. So off it came, and the new panel was beat into shape and welded in;
DSCF0287.jpg

Next up we started on the front crossmember (which I'd cut out last night), RHS jacking point and outrigger. To get to this we also needed to remove what was left of the bellypans;
DSCF0289.jpg

DSCF0293.jpg

Out with the old in with the new. :)

The rear crossmember has also been put in place, just need to finish welding it now.

The plan was to get most of the chassis work finished today, and by 11am me and Kev were flying along. All that was left was the LHS inner sill, the LHS centre outrigger and jacking point, and the LHS front jacking point. Plenty of time we thought.

Then distaster struck. The heavens opened and unleashed their full fury! Half inch hailstones are not fun and are bloody painful! lol;
DSCF0294.jpg

DSCF0295.jpg

Pretty much my whole street got flooded. I'm lucky in the sense that I live on the side that tends to stay dry! Obviously all major work ground to a halt and we retreated to the garage. An hour of tea and biscuits, and with no let up in sight we decided to call it a day. :(

In between the rain I did manage to fit the new engine lid and start painting the cab floor though. So not all is lost. I might pop out for another hour soon if the rain holds off. That's all for now folks.

DSCF0288.jpg

Yeah it's a late one but I don't care, it was free! :p

jabbo said:
Yeah it's a late one but I don't care, it was free! :p

i might! :lol:

good work boys, the weather has been so bad im surprised you got that much done! the weather for tomoz looks even worse :(

Quick silly question Jabbo mate . Can you buy outriggers new as i need to replace a couple . and where from ,how much . thankyou please :wink:

Yeah mate, JK or Scofields do them.

JK charge £19.50 for the fronts and £9.95 for the rears I believe.

What ones do you need? I've got a spare one I'm just about to stick in the for sale section.

hi Jabbo need two for R/H/S of a l/h/d van under side loading door 1969 van :wink:

There's 3 per side dude. A front, a centre and a rear outrigger (the centre and rear are really close together though. I've got a spare RHS front if it's any good to you (goes behind the cab and at the start of the sliding door)?

Forgot to say, centres are the same price as rears I believe.

Like I say dude, I've only got the front one unfortunately. Do you need jacking points as well, cos I've not got them.

Just cover my p+p and it's yours matey.

ive been over to Scotts mums today and im pretty taken back at how hard they are working to get this done (or maybe they just worked while i was there :lol: )

they only stopped to eat jam tarts and put Kev every time he caught himself on fire lol :shock:

today was a busy one, full of unexpected jobs...ill let Scott tell you when he gets online

Well today saw day 3 of 8 (I'm not including yesterday as I knew Kev was busy most of the day and I had some other stuff to do too).

Today saw pretty much the remaining chassis work sorted;

DSCF0297.jpg

DSCF0300.jpg

^^^ Repaired cross members

DSCF0298.jpg

^^^ Outigger repair, chassis repair and new jacking point on the RHS front.

DSCF0303.jpg

DSCF0305.jpg

^^^ More outriggers and jacking points

Kev also took care of numerous small chassis repairs that were required;

DSCF0308.jpg

And fitted the new LHS sill. Luckily it seemed the outter sills aren't that bad, just need a tidy up, so we don't have to replace them anymore. :)

With all the chassis welding work work finished(except the front beam) and a good brush down, it was time to start laying on the underseal!

Start;
DSCF0311.jpg

Finish;
DSCF0312.jpg

In fact we managed to get the whole chassis done;
DSCF0313.jpg

DSCF0314.jpg

DSCF0316.jpg

:D

I'm still covered in the bloody stuff now. Think I need to have a bath in white spirit or something. :shock:

Whilst Kev had been welding the chassis, I made a start on the bodywork;
DSCF0306.jpg

DSCF0310.jpg

I so want to leave the roof like that. 8) :lol:

I also got Nic over to do some work as well (about bloody time :p ) She started painting up the cab area, and also gave the wheels a bit of a tart up;
DSCF0317.jpg

Tomorrow should see the final bits of welding on the rear bumper and the patch near the tailgate (which we cut out today).

God I'm knackered! lol

Latest posts